Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Holy Fools



Lunch breaks are traumatizing. Staying aloof has its price to pay. Being friendly has a price on its head too. Shuttling between these two, no one's been able to tag a name to me.

Finally the dumbest guy of the lot put to words in his own clumsy way.

'You appear friendly. The more I try to determine that, the more friendly you appear. But somehow you really aren't', he said faintly puzzled because he felt what he said didn’t make too much sense.

I started. That was very profound little did he realize it.

So what I am today at lunch, is always the question. No one pays it as much importance as I do anyway.

Today at lunch I am generous. I don't hold it too much against every one of them that they are talking absolute crap. Why is it that fun should always be at someone else's expense, I usually want to yell while shaking everyone by the collar…

Every conversation has to have a scapegoat. There should be one blustering individual who is being thrown a fusillade of words against which he cannot retaliate. It gets to me many a time.

Well, today I was being asked a specific question.

"What do you think of capital punishment?"

Well, I didn't think too much about it. I ponder over it while chewing my food.

"Depends."

Now, that's one of the sanest answers I can give.

Smirks pass around. I know suddenly, today I get not to chose my role. I am given one.

"On what?"

"On what the accused is charged with...of..."

"That is irrelevant"

Smirks are no use when not shared. It was my turn to but I swallowed it and washed it down with some water.

The crowd is not having the fun they anticipated. Arenas and that aspect of entertainment, finally I understand.

"You have an accent", I hear the leader of the pack say. On why he is the leader its because he can turn an argument around. People give him the scepter for fear of being the eternal target. He rules. He reigns.

It hits me hard. I brace myself for a volley of Malayalee jokes.

Now that was new to everyone. Including me, though I wasn't allowed to be incredulous about it.

He explains, "She has an Indian accent."

I laugh out, aloud. I can’t help it.
He is Indian. Too.

26 Comments:

Blogger Hyde said...

"I do not speak with an accent", he claimed. "I am American!".

1:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

eh! errr!! wazzzaat?!hehehehe
What utter gibberish did I just utter?! boink!!!

1:48 AM  
Blogger Arun said...

I like the picture up there.

3:29 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Hyde: Most often than not, only you understand what you say!

Sharat: Lol!

Arun: Me too.

4:32 AM  
Blogger Arvind Iyer said...

Ahh...A lovely break from the fulsome love and affection for that guy in all the previous posts.
I still don't get it.. fiction or reality ?

6:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Four posts in 11 days, am loving your over drive. Its a mob's world. But you need'nt have the discretion for such Tooheys.

7:18 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Arvind: You always ask that question and I never answer!

Anon: Long live 'Save as Draft' option in blogger! Nothing like the story about the ant that saved for a rainy day!

7:55 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's always 'I' and then all the 'hes' and 'shes'. You're leaving a lot to the readers. To define all these three characters. And that makes the possibilities endless. And each person, has to but like his/her definition!

Cheap trick! :)
Works marvellously!

8:45 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Lazy Strokes: Tut! Tut! Nothing cheap about it. Call it magnanimous if you must! :p

9:08 PM  
Blogger hope and love said...

:))
nice post..

2:13 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Hope and love: Thank you...

4:15 AM  
Blogger Praveen said...

i liked the sarcasm, I liked your answer to the question that was asked to you, I liked how different this post is when compared to your usual ones, in short i liked this post very much :)

4:44 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Praveen: I have a usual way of writing huh? Well, thank you...

7:38 AM  
Blogger yesbob said...

*lights going on*
it hit me only now.
some people ..

2:18 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Yesbob: Yes... some people!!!!

1:49 AM  
Blogger Sudarshan. A. G. said...

The best part of almost all of ur blogs are the way they flirt with reality. It leaves me guessing which aspect is fictional :).

Hell! I'll just stop thinking and enjoy the ride!

12:55 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Sudarshan: Faction is my forte!! :D

5:27 PM  
Blogger ashish said...

me back from a long vacation. happy new year to you too.

real good pics btw :)

5:52 PM  
Blogger Dhanya said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:19 PM  
Blogger Dhanya said...

nice post! and very true indeed!

:) to add to this sweety...

"oh! that's a nice colour you are wearing! where did you pick it up from?" "my mother-in-law cooks horrible..." "my cook didn't turn up today, so i 'cooked' maggi for my hubby and guess what? he said it was good".

why i still sit with them. come on, we need a circus once a day after the hell of work we have! ;) and these days, i am like the Buddha, patient, a faint smile hanging always, nodding when told something, non-chalance is the word i think! :)

9:21 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Ashish: Vacation...so I noticed!

Dhanya: I do not mind discussing neutral topics, but not something where one man's fun is another man's horror!

10:14 PM  
Blogger Praveen said...

what i meant by "usual" was that this post was different from the others :), nothing else.

12:15 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Praveen: Ah...ok! :o)

4:35 AM  
Blogger Lost in trance... said...

interesting huh? the last place u luk is within...wer u shuda started ;)

5:14 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Lost in trance: Without within you are without?

9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mallu joke i had to endure

me : have u ppl ever been to the embassy ?
northies: which embassy are you talking about india embassy or the kerala embassy

12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home