Sunday, October 30, 2005

Don't turn and look when you walk away...

There is this place called Riverwalk where I live. A quaint artificial river that gurgles not… A few alive ducks that paddle frenzily and appear calm and collected on the outside. A few guys with Sombreros on boats that take bored tourists up and down... A few bridges that arch coyly and have couples entangled in each other... Musicians who played the same tunes with a blasé air… Petulance…



If you think I didn't like it-oh no. I loved it. It was so naturally artificial and no pretence about it. How can you not love something as charming as that? Slow lazy paces that took us towards nowhere… We weren't going anywhere anyway. But then again, you always are. Kisses at every five paces... I thought I would be shy. And so we walked. Talking too.

There are some people who you never think you'll meet again coz they seem so improbable in your life in the first place that you often wonder- did they ever exist. And you always hope you meet them again... somewhere.... sometime. And you are amazed when you do.

You are wrapped in circles of love- a hug that fits. It is special. You know its just right when you find your arms encircling the other and you close your eyes and take in the warm smell of the other person. You know you haven't been replaced when the hug lingers a few seconds more than it should. And it feels so short a minute. Unfair.

I looked up at him and smiled. The couple in front of us oblivious to everything around them.... He caught me looking at them. We smiled indulgent smiles at each other.

A few flashes and the moment captured forever. Instances that will remind me in years to come of a love that was almost. Of being near perfection only because it didn’t happen.

I wasn't going to ruin it. I never ask. I will never ask. That happens when you never get what you ask for. Its better this way.

His hands are in his pocket and mine are wrapped around myself. The couple in front of us enter an ice cream store. We follow.

"Your eyes still sparkle when you eat ice cream", he tells me.

And when they see you.

We finish our ice creams.



The day is almost over. He's traveled over a 1000 miles to see me. And all that distance has to be traveled back. Staying was never an option. I forget the promise to myself and ask, "Will you stay?"

At least one of us is sensible.

I stand on the grass, ignoring the 'Thank you for not stepping on the grass' sign.
He climbs into the car after a last hug.
This time I keep my hands to myself.

22 Comments:

Blogger Hyde said...

Your eyes sparkle when you eat ice-cream? How did I miss it when you had that triple chocolate thingie??

8:37 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Hyde: I just posted!!!!! You surely couldn't have read it all!!!!

8:56 AM  
Blogger Hyde said...

Well, I did.

12:14 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Hyde: Ah. I'm sorry about the broken jaw.

Yesbob: *Sigh*

2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

> a hug that fits
Beautiful!

> At least one of us is sensible.
God I love your writing.

You have talent my dear. And you are adorable.

7:28 PM  
Blogger Hyde said...

A little late, but I guess it is alright. :-)

12:14 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Pierre: Gimme one more!
*Hug*

And I love you. You are one of the most adorable people I've ever met.

Hyde: Better late than never! Hmpf!

7:42 AM  
Blogger pDd said...

sense and sensibilty...don't you wonder what happens to both of them whenever it comes to love??
the email is being processed...
sigh..i'm procrastinating...

3:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi poornima,
this is dhanya here. don't know if u will remember. i commened long back, we wrote mails...then i had to leave for a very short time. now am back. am not posting anymore. but i used to read what you write eveytime i was in d web. style's improving a lot. think 'bout it: "write a goddamn novel, girl" u have the spice and pepper in u. or just compile all this! seriously man!
so howz u otherwise? howz chennai? me's stil in b'lore: the 'ld mcdonald farm with crows and bulls ramping and stomping highways and guttered roads! humfphh humphh!
keep in touch if you can. i will be around!
:) keep writing!

10:30 PM  
Blogger SNM said...

You will make a good short-story writer...

4:10 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Pallavi: Everything's gone with the wind when it comes to love! Ah- indulge in the vices my girl!

Dhanya: Oh yes, I do remember. I also remember checking out your blog and noticed that you stopped blogging.

Thank you for all the nice things you've said. I still stand by what I said- am not sure I am ready for a novel. I am not in Chennai at the moment... Bangalore's a mess I heard... There I've almost written a letter in my comment!!!

Snm: As good as Madhavikutty? :p

7:23 AM  
Blogger Trebuchet said...

you MUST participate in the poetry carnival -- submission instructions and a theme are up at www.legwarmers.blogspot.com -- please? :) i love your writing...

8:14 PM  
Blogger SNM said...

Madhavikkutty minus the blasphemous 'you-know-what'. Well, you ain't there yet, but you are going the right way. Keep walking.

9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So someone has come to see you!!! wow.. I wish you were here to describe every minute!ha ha..
btw.. when are u coming back?

5:07 AM  
Blogger R said...

You write really well.. :)

9:06 AM  
Blogger Arun said...

Phew!

9:08 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Trebuchet: Poetry...? Well, am not sure am up for that! And the feeling is mutual too- I love your writing!

Snm: Hmm... maybe I should try some of that stuff too. Lemme see...

Reva: Yeah and finally! I went to meet him too. But well, thats another post! Coming back... not as soon as I'd like to!

Rohit: Thank you.

Arun: I'll take that as a compliment!

7:34 AM  
Blogger Arun said...

Coming from me, can it be anything else Poornima? :-)

~ Arun

4:11 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Arun: Flatterer!! Damn, I seem to be smiling while accusing you!!!!

7:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is a nice piece of writing. a lot of feelings enmeshed lie latent and reaching the seams. creative... could be and a lot... like that ripple which fades away in distant shores only to be met by another.
keep writing and publishing.

from one among the crowd....

8:53 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Anon: I like this particular 'voice from the crowd'! Is it from Canada?

6:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this very helpful. Download the best ringtone for your phone here:
>> Crazy Message ringtone
>> New Best Wake Up ringtone

12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home