Friday, October 14, 2005

Another shade of blue

One of those days when a slice of memory from the past hits you hard. So hard that you realize it hits you the way it does coz you are so far away...



“Straight from Bengal. THESE madams are the original Bengal cotton sarees”, he beamed at us. Unmasked pride. “Unlike any others you get in South India. This is ORIGINAL”; drawling at original for emphasis.

Salesmen were common to our house. My favorites remained the bangle-man and the ladoo-man. Hushed squeals of delight when the wares would be opened to sparkling eyes. I would point excitedly at the colored glass bands and my mother would indulge in the whim. Red ones, blue ones, orange ones- every possible color of delight.

Silk saree vendors with yards of heavy cloth and arabesque patterns. Pearl vendors who would bring not only dull tiny objects that would roll in the hollow of your palm but also huge mirrors that lied, for they would make my fat and ugly aunt look almost beautiful. But only when you saw her in the mirror. The many pearls that often choked her neck did nothing to me except develop an allergy to chains. I never wear them.

“I don’t really like pearls”, my mother would politely demur. But she would say the right things when the rest of the people would buy terrible looking stuff which were colossal and ugly.

“I have too many silk sarees”, I would hear my mother murmur in dissent.

There never was a trace of regret. Quiet resolution. Strong. Unwavering. There never was a tinge of envy too. Her tone was and is something I have learned to imitate. To perfection.

But that day was different. I saw her fingers hover over a blue Bengal cotton saree. Hesitant fingers touching the material to find a defect that wasn’t there. To convince herself that it wasn’t as good as it looked like. Fingers that turned reluctant to stop touching it…

The saree wala with an instinct they all have when they know people are hooked, pounced on her. Classy. Would look bee-eau-tee-full on you. Elegant. Words rang. Amma seemed impervious to it all. It was a nice saree. I hoped Amma would buy it. I’d never seen her buy anything at all.

“How much”, she asked quietly. Her walls against temptation turned porous suddenly, I guess.

“350 rupees only madam”

Amma gasped. It was then that I realized that 350 rupees was huge an amount.

I guess even the saree wala knew it was huge an amount. He realized what I did not that day- it was too huge an amount for us. His interest wandered to my many aunts who were gleefully picking up magentas, oranges and purples. He even winced at one of my aunt’s selection and wowed it along with my mother- both of them sharing a conspiratorial smile. The prices went 300, 400, 600, 550… But 350 was huge an amount. Too huge. For us.

I saw my mother say the right things as always. Pretty of course. Oh, yes. Looks very nice and especially on you. Words she was adept at. But that day she was not at her best. Her attention wandered and constantly to the classy blue saree that no one wanted…

Many sarees were sold that day. Not the blue one. My mother must have been glad- I don’t know. I assume she was. She must’ve been…

The saree wala took a strange fancy to this quiet beautiful dark woman, for he said in a hushed tone against all the babble, “You can have it for 300”

My mother smiled a grateful smile, but shook her head in the negative.

“I have too many Bengal cotton sarees”

He smiled a knowing smile, taking in my mother’s old worn cotton saree, which stood in straight folds, starched with pride.

He wasn’t rich enough to lower the price any more and we were poor enough at 350 rupees being too expensive…

He bundled his wares after pocketing most of our family’s fortune, hoisted it up on his shoulders and walked away…

I ran after him. “When will you come again?”

He smiled. “Maybe when the young lady is old enough to wear sarees… and I sure hope you have as good a taste as your mother does”

I am old enough to wear sarees now.

He never came.

350 rupees is not expensive now. I buy my mother sarees regularly. But I’ve never found the shade of blue she wanted, the day 350 rupees was too huge a price to pay for a blue Bengal cotton saree.

43 Comments:

Blogger shub said...

nice. :)

7:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

really nostalgic! my mind visualises the movies through scripts of your words...

sometimes the characters are in animation, sometimes real (meaning, imagining yourself as the young child)...

am sure I have a fair idea of how you looked as a kid...yeah! you can wonder at my ability to visualise ;D

11:39 PM  
Blogger Jade said...

I don't know if I've said this before, but I think you write really well. Especially when you keep it simple like you did it with this post. Think I'll go and read it a second time around now.

3:02 AM  
Blogger aks said...

hey love...nice post...

3:29 AM  
Blogger brahmanan said...

hi.
wonderful images this conjures up. aha!

3:47 AM  
Blogger Sujith said...

touching...

5:36 AM  
Blogger hope and love said...

touched.. loved it..

7:27 AM  
Blogger Sujit said...

Memories are like events that keep comming as they happen... Hope you get your blue saree sometime or the other and very nice writing..

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

blue is such a lovely colour....
nice post!
TC,Divs

12:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful post, but may I suggest a different title, borrowed from your writing itself....

"Starched with Pride"

12:36 PM  
Blogger Aparna Ray said...

beautifully woven!

7:30 PM  
Blogger thelearner said...

Brilliantly written.

10:10 PM  
Blogger fr0z3n said...

well.. i dont know what to say.. your writings forever awe me.. the beautiful images you conjure, linger in the mind forever more..

6:42 PM  
Blogger Minal said...

Lovely post

11:15 PM  
Blogger Praveen said...

Wow, this is an amazing post. Easy to read and yet conveying a great deal.I seriously did not wish the post to end.
I hope you do find that blue saree, and write an equally wonderful post when you do find it :).

2:48 AM  
Blogger Nikhil Prasad Ojha said...

Poornima,
Superb writing. Brought back memories of a time long past.
Many thanks and look forward to reading more.
Nikhil

3:23 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Shub: Your pic always makes me smile!

Anon: Sharat- am sure you have a wunnerful imagination!

Jasmine: Keeping it simple...Most of what I write is, no?

Aks: Hey sweetheart... I need to come up with more ways of saying thank you!

Veerabhadra: Feeding your imagination... :D

7:38 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Jithu: Wow! I think I need to write a book! :p

Hope and love: That's the mother in you talking!

Sujit: I am looking...

Divs: Ah... I thought you'd disappeared!

Blogmela: Ah... too lazy to go n change the title! But thank you for the suggestion...

7:41 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Aparna: Thank you.

Thelearner: I seem to be stuck with 'thank you'!

L_D: First of all am MAD to you for not telling me that you have a blog! Hmpf!

And the story you've narrated, I've read something like it... something very like it. The Kabuliwala by Tagore. And I think its even made into a Bengali movie... Try reading it sometime. Its fabulous.

Frozen: You've complimented me enough! Thank you!

Minal: Another Calvin I see.

Praveen: Easy to read... that sometimes seems to be the cue...

Nikhil: More... ah- everyone's the Oliver Twist!

7:47 AM  
Blogger SNM said...

I was tired, and wanted to go home and sleep. Walked out of my building, and was welcomed into the open by heavy showers... I walked back into the building, and checked your blog straight away.

Certain things remind me of certain people...

7:55 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Snm: I've written so many rain posts, made so many rain memories... and I feel so happy that some people think of me when it rains... That's one of the bestest things you can say to me. Ever.

2:02 PM  
Blogger R R said...

very nice.
reminds me of tagore's kabuliwallah :)

4:50 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Rr: That's the second time someone's said this- after reading this post of mine! I am at a loss as to what to say!

Divs: Lol. Nope- no 'praises' needed.

7:12 AM  
Blogger ManojChandran said...

you not only make the blog writing an art.. but the blog-commenting too..

hows amerikka ?? ;)

1:31 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Yodanz: Lol... that sounds like fun!

Mannu: Amerika is huuuuuuuuuuuuugeeeeeeeee!!!!!!! :D

7:47 AM  
Blogger ManojChandran said...

bigger than Angamali ?!?!? ;)

2:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautifully written.....

4:29 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Mannu: I dont think so! :D

Anon: Thank you... but am not sure who this is!

8:38 AM  
Blogger pDd said...

i knew i couldn't stay away for too long...and what a post to return with!!
my grandmother had a fabulous collection of sarees...i wish i could wear them like she did..

2:22 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Reverend: Well... thanks!

Pallavi: Oh Lord- I DID miss you!! Next step, writing something on your blog!

And saree- well, am sure you'd look FABULOUS in any!

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey.. got ur link from colleague... you write really well!.. i love the pictures which look tailor made for your blog! Keep up the good work!

4:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poo : Give the girl a break. She'll be back... she still has a lot of stories to tell. ;;)

L_D

7:08 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Anon @frost: Well... am not sure I'm too thrilled about this! But thanks for the kind words.

L_D: Aha! I remember hearing those words somewhere! Lol!

7:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

really good, too good,... it reminded me abt the story KABULIWALA & of course my own childhood...when even a hundred seemed un affordable...now when v can afford it, v dont have the same things v wanted.. u made me miss my family.. ur writing is too good,it reminds me of myself & when i read it i can picturise the whole thing going in front of me. u r gr8. keep writing.

11:21 PM  
Blogger Arun said...

Someone needs to get over with the American holiday and update this blog!

~ A

2:19 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Friend: Ah... thank you.

Arun: Well, for once I seem to be complying! What American holiday! Gah- am working my whatever off!

3:20 PM  
Blogger Aslan said...

awesome..

12:53 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Kuts: Ah...How've you been?

7:22 AM  
Blogger ishmi said...

beautiful! :)

5:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this very helpful. Download the best ringtone for your phone here:
>> Crazy Message ringtone
>> New Best Wake Up ringtone

12:16 AM  
Anonymous Obat Benjolan di Belakang Telinga said...

It is great to have visited your website. Thanks for sharing useful information. And also visit my website about health. God willing it will be useful too

Cara Mengobati Cacingan pada Anak
Cara Mengobati Usus Buntu
Obat Telinga Berkerak dan Berair
Cara Membersihkan flek di paru-paru
Obat Koreng Bernanah Alami
Obat Sakit perut melilit paling Ampuh

7:46 PM  
Blogger jasonbob said...

yeezys
curry 7 shoes
jordan 1 off white
stone island clothing
retro jordans
yeezy boost 350 v2
jordan 6
hermes online
yeezy boost 350 v2
irving shoes

8:12 PM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

golden goose
supreme clothing
canada goose outlet
supreme t shirt
yeezy supply
curry 6
supreme clothing
air jordan
yeezy shoes
supreme

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home