Sunday, September 18, 2005

55 -why not!

Twirling, twisting, tapping, laughing, eyes shining we danced.

The music played on. Or not.

Breathless, sweaty bodies held in the infinite embrace of a few minutes.

The dark and sweet smell of two bodies and the night.

I don’t want to remember it. Or forget.

Of course he wasn’t the marrying kind. They never are.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know she’s watching. When I add the wrong spices to the right curry. When making love. When I suck in the flabby stomach.

She drives me crazy with my need to be perfect for him.

An eternal punishment. For having stolen him. Not because I loved him more than she. I’d hated her more…

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I listen. Not too keenly. It would offend him, had I.

He talks about her. Then another. And so on.

It’s when he doesn’t talk about other women that I worry.

His little fallacies keep alive. Our marriage. My surrealist superiority. My sanity.

I hope he doesn’t notice that I don’t talk of him anymore.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I’ll only marry someone who can drive a car and very well at that.”, he said lazily stretching himself, “And someone who can cook exceptionally”

Unthinking words thrown carelessly.

She looked at the words scornfully. Conditional love never met with her approval.

She joined driving classes secretly the next day. Cooking classes that same afternoon.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They lost their way everyday. At least ever since she started accepting a ride from him.

“He wants to spend more time with me and hence the delightfully foolish excuse”, shyly looking at him she hugged her secret joyfully.

“These damned Chennai roads. And all the cursed buildings look alike. Damn!”, he swore to himself.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1706 miles from San Antonio to Delaware.

"Come and see me", I say.

A pregnant pause. Uncomfortable and heavy.

I laugh. It then becomes a sophisticated joke, which even I don't understand.

But I mean every word I say.

"Of course I will", he says.

We laugh.

He doesn't mean a single word he says.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The vase is full of myriad sprays.

Very like the men in my life. Good men, men whom I cared. None whom I loved.

I slide off the bed. Practiced ease.

It was good though. Like many times before.

No note left that would but say, “I wouldn’t recognize you if I saw you again”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sleep was a million miles away. The television, a remote away. Entertainment, a furtive window across.

Standing by the shadows, she watches him.

She blushes when she sees him the next day.

He smiles politely at his gray spinster of a neighbor who plays the television loudly when he makes love to same named women.

25 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When i first looked at the title, i thought yet another Symbolic! Cool! Later, I scanned through the article till its end for pics, but I was surprised, there were none! I felt mesmerised...no pics and the mystic title!...I moved on reading the classified notes...they looked like part of different chapters of novels, neither of them inter-twined...I was confused to be honest. But I felt the Key to the Sense must be lying somewhere...I re-read the title over again...and by chance I slided the mouse pointer over the title...the pointer flicked and my mind clicked!...woops i thought and clicked on the link "55"...and suddenly the Sense emerged out from the dark...and a Smile too!

L_D

P.S. : I couldnt see anybody at the moment, I guess I paid the first visit.

1:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I hope he doesn’t notice that I don’t talk of him anyone"

"She joined driving classes secretly the next day. Cooking classes that same afternoon."...Sigh! seems he got "Luck" as a parting gift from Him.

"He doesn't mean a single word he says"...hmmmm

L_D

1:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good afternoon! This isn't the voice of Enigma...this is...BLARE!!!!
ok, on a more serious note (sheesh! am contorting!!) I liked 'em all...and its a creative edge u r pushin! keep at it....
lotsa luv...

P.S> My my...the lucky dude gets the woman to drive and cook!! hmmm..interesting....very interesting...moody stuff...great start! ;o)

2:44 AM  
Blogger Xoff said...

You write really well, keep up the good work

2:48 AM  
Blogger fr0z3n said...

It's a pity you didn't submit any of these. Or did you?

They are all so beautiful.

3:01 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

L_D: Ah- couldn't think of a way of highlighting the title so that it shouts for attention.

Yes, you are the first. To comment.

I hope you are quoting me for the same reason as you quoted someone else on her blog! ;o)

Sharat: Ok Mr. Bundle of contradictions. Good or bad? Nope, I know the answer!

Xoff: Thank you.

Frozen: Came to know of it late. And anyway- I dont think I would've signed up for any competition.

5:18 AM  
Blogger yesbob said...

fifty-four! fifty-four!! fifty-four !!

7:23 AM  
Blogger yesbob said...

and of course - !!!

7:38 AM  
Blogger yesbob said...

and yeah, the gap ..

7:39 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Yesbob: If you hadn't, I wouldn't have.

8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i thought i wudnt comment. be one of these silent readers of a blog.and this is the first post of urs i read. but then i sat and read thru quite a no. of posts from the archives section( i am amazed as i keep complainin of lack of time).
my favourite so far.....abt ur trip back to kerala n the rain u felt in cochin....cochin the one place in the world i love(as if i have been arnd the world!) and rain the one 'thing' i feel for......
and conclusion......u r a very good writer.
will be back for more stories real or fiction....55 words or more.
TC

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey i thought i left my name...
one more comment to the comment tally,
i am divya ,btw!
TC
Divs

1:03 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Divya: Surprisingly, the Cochin one was one of the posts that not many people liked! Thank you. 55 words or more huh? Let's see...

9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well its prob coz i love the rains in cochin......
:)

4:30 AM  
Blogger pDd said...

wait for the masterpiece...give me about a week to settle in...

p.s. :did i say modesty s my middle name?

p.p.s. i miss you!

10:56 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Pallavi: 'Modesty' thy name is Pallavi!!

Yes, will look out for the 'masterpiece'- as always!

Miss you too- though it does seem funny an experssion to use! We never were anywhere near! But yeah- I get what you talking.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Divya: I love the rains. Period. But the rains in Cochin are amazing- yes.

9:28 PM  
Blogger arvindiyer said...

*closes eyes...I see a change...I see no pictures..I see loooong posts as always...I see a kitchen sink comin towards me...*
Ducks and runs away....

P:S I MISS U>

1:41 PM  
Blogger ManojChandran said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:15 AM  
Blogger ManojChandran said...

thats an unusual move.. such a long gap..

yeah .. miss u ! ;)

12:16 AM  
Blogger yesbob said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

missing ya am I not?!....yeah! but don't 'write', let those lovely words simbly flow onto this blogspace....am sure my patience will pay...any interesting thoughts cross ur mind from 30,000 feet sky-high?!
simbly waiting...
R

11:21 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Ergo Sum: Am in the US now. So-that's another 'similarity' if you please.

Arvind: Longer posts? 55 words!!! Gah!!!!!!!

Mannu: Well am usually unsusual! :p

Yesbob: No- you REMOVED that comment- but am replying to it! The ans- nearer.

Anon: err... am not really sure who this is. R? I know a K! But an R??? Anyway- will write and soon.

3:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

www0727

adidas outlet online
adidas outlet
adidas superstar
adidas superstars
adidas yeezy
yeezy
yeezy boost 350 v2
yeezy boost 350
adidas yeezy






12:40 AM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

adidas yeezy boost
cheap jordans
air max 95
birkin bag
hermes handbags
christian louboutin
hermes bags
yeezy shoes
golden gooses
air max 90

2:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home