Saturday, August 20, 2005

I wouldn't swap though

I think my sister's lost it completely. We are the kind of family where its just not said that we love each other, how special each one is, that we brighten up each others lives by just being in it...

Had they said anything of the kind to me- well, that's almost improbable, but speculation doesn’t harm does it? Ok- had they said anything of the kind, I would be convinced that a medical test I never took has sent a result called 'Dying soon'!



We never hug. We never kiss. *Shudder*. My sister goes on to be an extremist that she violently throws my poor and innocent arm that unknowingly manages to touch her at night. I am convinced she does it consciously- the sheer strength of that throw ought to convince anyone. I pity her boyfriend… err... husband I mean.

Even when I come home after years… err… months… ummm… weeks. Ok- DAYS, whoever opens the door would smile brightly and walk back inside calling, shut the door and wipe your feet. I’m sure this would be the treatment even if I came back from the moon.

Birthday gifts are never wrapped. We never hint. I- need- a- mobile is not a hint. And gifts are for the family. It is not uncommon to see my sister walking around with Tee shirts saying "Libran". And perfumes as gifts- the sniffer who can tolerate the smell gets to keep it. My mom is very tolerant. She's a walking garden, chocolate or fruit most of the time. She turns violent when she sees a perfume manufacturer- I do not blame her. We all hate suspicious packages. We never have birthday parties but we manage to have one every year. The people who come in have to be fed. My mother is convinced that my sister and I go about inviting total strangers to our home for our birthday.



So, when I get a card from my sister, it is but normal that I am suspicious. Or maddeningly worried. I read the card again. Maybe she is dying…

I call her up. She sounds healthy. I get a tough time making her hang up. It’s unhealthy that two sisters spend so much time on the phone. It’s expensive too.

I bring up the topic of the card, every so nonchalantly.

She says-Oh,found that when looking for a card for a friend. I knew you’d hate the colors in it. You did didn’t you?

Yes.

One thing you can always fall back on for consistency- family.

27 Comments:

Blogger Jade said...

Isn't it possible that she really did mean it, only she's rather shy about saying that she meant it. I know that's what I would do.

Oh, and my family's exactly the same as yours. :)

5:04 AM  
Blogger pDd said...

Yay! Yay! and another Yay!!
you're back!! you're back!! finally you are!!!
:D *does happy dance*

10:25 AM  
Blogger Jake said...

comments, they are a back again,
a penny for my thoughts,

... wheres my penny ?

11:33 AM  
Blogger ManojChandran said...

good to see ya bak!! :)

10:28 PM  
Blogger Sujith said...

love becomes complete when u express it.. be it fraternal or eternal :-)

2:27 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Jasmine: Shy? Wouldn't be my sister!

Pallavi: Lol. Hadn't gone anywhere now had I?

Jake: Penny's to cheap. Tuppence for them.

Mannu: I was always here!

Jithu: Ah, that's a sign to some questions in my head! Right- if you love someone, say it.

3:58 AM  
Blogger hope and love said...

nice.
:))
my family (i mean my parents brother and sisters) is also similar. but i feel its great when we express our love. even my hubby feels its cheap to keep saying " i love U".
but i love to express my love and im trying to train my boys to be more demonstrative.

4:05 AM  
Blogger vijyan said...

love is actualized thru actions...like what your sis had done..

5:04 AM  
Blogger aks said...

hey love......im smiling from cheek to cheek wat else to say ?.... lovely post.....

7:39 AM  
Blogger pDd said...

pick up the signs...*wink wink nudge nudge*

8:25 AM  
Blogger tcr_79 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:14 AM  
Blogger tcr_79 said...

Expressing one's love for the first time - well - easier said than done

Fear of losing of what is existing is the biggest obstacle to that

9:14 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Hope and love: Saying 'I love you' only and when you mean it is no way 'cheap'!

Vijyan: Actions speak louder than words funda huh?

Aks: Ah- I have a lovely sister.

Pallavi: Hush now girl!

Krish: I dont know where but I've said this somewhere in the blog world, "Sometimes the greatest regrets in life are the risks you didn't take"

Pallavi: Should I take what Krish's said as a sign too?

8:58 PM  
Blogger tcr_79 said...

Poorni: Is that so - which post is that - one of your earlier ones..

Pallavi: Haha :) you will give her a heart attack

9:38 PM  
Blogger ManojChandran said...

yeah.. but invisible..

but itz better now! ;)

3:54 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Krish: Don't remember!!!!

Mannu: Perception.

4:58 AM  
Blogger pDd said...

krish posts very contradictory comments...
yes, but only the one about the regrets!

5:56 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Pallavi: Krish is mad. And yeah- will take your word.

1:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NICE!!! :D (Doin the Colgate!)
me mum's always the affectionate, demonstrative kind...I have tried to respond in kind...but, me dad's genes are stronger (so it's all a bit millitary)....lol
chal...laters then!

3:49 AM  
Blogger tcr_79 said...

Poorni - what do you mean by - I am mad

You have taken birth with the sole aim of going against what I have to say

2:23 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Sharat: Yeah- undemonstrative you are. You went off without letting me cry at the airport. Damn- what a farewell scene that would've made!

Krish: I've never questioned the purpose of my birth. Now, you dont go about insulting it mister!

9:00 PM  
Blogger sarah t. said...

i stumbled upon you...and think your prose is so very lyrical. I'm linking to your blog at my own...and will post about you when I have some time...keep writing!

7:09 AM  
Blogger Sreekesh Menon said...

lol!

2:22 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Jones: That's one of the best compliments I've gotten so far. Lyrical prose... Ah... And thank you.

Sreekesh: Oh!

11:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came here very late. But I have been addicted to your blog for the past couple of days. Read almost all yours posts and its really unstoppable even for a boring reader like me!
And this one definitely I cannot leave without a comment..amazingly similar to my family and especially my sister ;)
truely amazing the way you write..wonder if you ever come back to this blog :)

4:55 AM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

lebron james shoes
ferragamo belt
kobe shoes
longchamp handbags
nike air vapormax
retro jordans
retro jordans
nike air max 97
michael kors outlet online
coach factory outlet

2:09 AM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

supreme clothing
pandora
golden goose sneakers
curry 7
supreme new york
kyrie 6
bape
off white hoodie
pandora
longchamp handbags

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home