Friday, September 30, 2005

Maktub- everything I have understood and not

Chennai- Mumbai- Paris- Somewhere in the US.

All in 3 days- planning, packing, panicking- in whatever order.

Leaving- the final step.

Arriving- the one after the final step.

Armed with numbers that are way too many digits long of random names of people I'll never call and apprehensions, I trudged through airports.

How's it- people ask. No aliens around. Or if there are- I haven’t seen any. I am but fresh off the boat.

Dont stay out late. This is not India- advises aplenty. I wish it was food instead.

Friends- sometimes the choices you make in life are not very wise. They are otherwise. To the most often asked question- "So, do you have many friends in the US?", I have to think before answering. To some people to whom I want to appear smarter than I am, I want to tell them a lot of wonderful sounding statements with important words. But words don’t come as and when you like them. I manage a "maybe" or a silly affected laugh that says, "No". People never take me seriously. Never figured out yet if that's a good thing.

Things I noticed so far (lack of a better alternative)

1. There are TCSians everywhere. The last of my friends to see me off at the airport was a TCSian. Chennai to Mumbai- TCSian as the guy on the seat beside mine. Mumbai to Newark- TCSian (another one), beside me again. The person who came to pick me up from the airport- TCS again!

Whoever coined the joke about Malayalees being everywhere apparently hadn't heard about TCSians. And mind you- none of these people above hailed from the so called God's own country.

2. I will never forgive my roommates. For being so good to me that I got used to being pampered. Right from packing my lunch box to packing my many suitcases- those girls have plain loved me too much. If I turn murderer here- they are to blame. It’s all their fault!!

3. My sister does love me a lot. I never expected her to burst into tears when I left- but well, she did cry. And she stayed awake the whole night and messaged me until I reached Mumbai. These months are going to be long for both of us.

4. The last voice I carried with me when I left India, I miss hearing it as often as I used to.

5. Everyone is alone. One just has to accept it and get used to it.

6. I bought myself a dreamcatcher.


18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome aboard!!
Give me a call when you are all settled in...
Take care
Deepa

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a wonderful stay there dearie! I am sure u must have heard this many a time, but here i go " how does it feel to be in the US of A??"

10:48 PM  
Blogger ManojChandran said...

no one is alone dear... u juz gotta open ur eyes.. and look around to see those people loving u absolutely with no strings attached..


err.. why do i feel soo lonely today!!!

1:33 AM  
Blogger yesbob said...

one is never alone. there's always the tax-collector and the rent-collector and the boss .or, when all else fails, the telemarketer :D

5:10 PM  
Blogger aks said...

hey love.....missin ya....

6:20 AM  
Blogger Praveen said...

hmm... so u are out of homeland, hope you continue to write, maybe of your experiences there, would be worth a read :)

4:46 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Deepa: Yes mam!

Shim Chech: The US of A is a small room with an ornage light!

Mannu: Everyone is alone. The other people are but an illusion.

Yesbob: You forgot that one person in Delaware! :p

Aks: Oh dear... now dont make me feel bad! :o(

Psst... so am I!

Praveen: So, do I consider that my past posts aren't worth a read?! :p

8:08 AM  
Blogger pDd said...

you silly little girl...you're not alone..i'm just a phone call away...

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i dont like any of your blogs..

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

to Poo : All in 3 days- planning, packing, panicking- in whatever order.

Leaving- the final step.

Arriving- the one after the final step

that was one witty prelude to ur write up on ur terra shift! :) i always wondered over if anything exists after "final"...

to Pal: how lettle is she ?

L_D

2:44 AM  
Blogger Praveen said...

Are you reading "between my comments"? :). Actually did not mean that at all. All your posts are worth a read, I think.

6:24 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Pallavi: Aww... touched I am. Will call you as soon as I can.

Anon: How many of my blogs have you read? Lol! Oh you mean posts! Well... err... thanks!

L_D: Someone taught me the concept of moebius... Maybe you could look that up.

Praveen: Lol. Guilty.

7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kitne dooor...kitne paas!
Hope dis new year in yer life brings out the best for you darlin'...god bless...
cya when I cya ;D

9:21 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Sharat: Huuuuuugggggggg!!!!!!!

1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hope you are having a good time making the calls......

4:46 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Anon: Ummm... who's this? Calls? As part of my work- they suck bigtime! The other calls- awesome! :D

8:35 AM  
Blogger Lost in trance... said...

was laffin @ this one...coz moi a TCSer too ...and from the gwads waan country to boot :)

5:48 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Lost in trance: see! They are EVRYWHERE!!!! I mean YOU guys are everywhere!

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home