Sunday, November 13, 2005

In a New York minute

Dear;

Lying in the darkness of my room, I think of you and… New York. There is always solitude in darkness.

When I landed at the airport, I was filled with apprehensions. What if you don’t find me in this sea of people…? When encircled arms met people who filled the seats around me on the plane, I repeated to myself your mobile number, which I’d memorized. But when I saw you looking for me and when you wrapped me onto you, my relief was by sinking completely into you- bag and baggage. I like being found.

I liked your room. I especially loved the ledge where I could sit holding my legs near me and look out into the street. The fan that groaned in slow circles, it made me feel we were sleeping in India. Except that I couldn’t hear the traffic. Things were different and yet the same.

I sleep best when I sleep with my face in the curve of your neck… There were no nightmares and dream was a kiss away.

Do you remember how often we would turn off the alarm and go back to sleep? The alarm would be the signal for us if we were at the far ends of the bed, to come closer to each other, find comfortable nooks and curves that hold and contain. Wrapping sleep kissed bodies around each other we would go back to sleep.

New York… I think I’ve fallen in love with the place. Or maybe with you… all over again. I’ve fallen in love many times and with a lot of people. I’ve fallen out of times and with all of them people. But with you, I’ve always come back to fall in love again.

Central Park…Sheep meadow is the bestest place in the whole world. When you let me sit on your bag, so that I wont get my trousers all wet, I felt I was in college. No, not that anyone in college cared if I sat on wet grass. And when you sat down on the grass and I ran my fingers through your closely cropped hair... your hair felt softer by the way. Is this what lovers do? Apart from writing love letters, long hours on the phone and furtive gropes in dark cinema theatres?

Anyway, we weren’t lovers like that...

We were…we were the lovers who made no promises. We never talk of ‘remember-when’ and ‘what-if’…We were lovers who laughed and talked and walked and giggled at Indian taxi drivers who were rude and ate noodles in cabs in New York. We were lovers who met other people, never talked on the phone, wrote small emails and had sex when we met.

We never call sex, making love.

I liked all your friends.

I like French cheese.

When you whispered to my pressed form on the crowded subway that it was not as bad as the Chennai buses, I could feel your smile on my body. I didn’t have to look at you to see that. I’d stood there, as near as to you I could get. I could feel your breath on my hair. I never once looked up. I hope you were thinking of the past. This once we could behave like others. It is allowed.

I am happier than I ever was. Or if I was, I cannot remember when. But I am sad too. Like the time when I laced my fingers through yours and squeezed your palm at the movie theatre... I’d looked on at the lit screen pretending not to see your questioning look. Sadness sits on me at the most unexpected of times.

When the time came for me to leave and you asked me not to be sad, for we would meet again, that’s the closest to a tomorrow and a promise we’d come.

3 days...it seems like a minute now. In that New York minute, everything’s changed. I think I’ve left a part of me behind somewhere out there. Maybe in one of the avenues we walked… Maybe in one of the shops we went…Maybe in one of the benches we sat. Maybe under the pillow on your bed, a little hidden.

As always and forever;
Me.

28 Comments:

Blogger Arun said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:45 AM  
Blogger thelearner said...

Romance in every word. Beautiful.

6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So Arun has been censored? What did he write that was so improper?
This is a magnificent text. Thank you. You write exceptionnaly.

6:49 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

The learner: Thank you. I thought the whole thing was gonna be called blasphemous and what not. It was nice to hear what you had to say...

Pierre: He deleted his comment. I did not.

And about the text, well 'he' was easy to write about! Magnificent subject. Thank you for everything.

6:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also wonder why Arun delated his comment!

nice post.

10:07 AM  
Blogger hope and love said...

soooo beautiful.....!

12:37 AM  
Blogger Zealous Zygote said...

I wont call it blasphemous, but I shall say that it was atleast daring.You never cease to amaze! Anyway, if you get time and feel like doing it, do the High-Fives post for me.Check my blog, I have tagged you

6:24 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Anon: Arun's deleted comment seems to be generating more attention than my post!

Hope and love: :)

Zy: Now what are you tagging me to do!? Lemme see... no promises!

6:55 AM  
Blogger Sudarshan. A. G. said...

I have been a regular visitor... mostly when I really am totally befuddled in life. A very beautiful piece...

Loved those three singular lines in the middle...amazing

2:49 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Suddu: Befuddled in life and my writing. Hmmm... cant ask for more a compliment!

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Arun mentioned the missing excerpts from the Cookie monster's activity book, and paid the price.

3:47 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Sushmit: Thank you.

Anon: Hmmm.. I guess I need to ask Arun to come over and say it all over again! He didn't say anything the least bit offensive btw. He's always said the nicest things possible.

6:53 AM  
Blogger Arun said...

And we all talk about keeping censorships off blogs. Yes, Arun should clarify that it was HE who removed his comment and not the author of this post. :-)

~ Arun

11:02 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Arun: And also that Arun didn't say anything that was 'bad' in the first place!

Shaleen: Thank you.

7:11 AM  
Blogger ManojChandran said...

you write better than any so called professional writers I have ever known..

yet another beautiful and sweet stuff..

9:56 PM  
Blogger Harish Sivaramakrishnan said...

This is phenomenal!! You are just an amazing writer! Keep up the good work and keep writing!

4:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aaah! lovely and romantic!! and I can't believe I am using those words!!!;p

wonderfully presented! I really did feel some unknown strings within me being tugged!!! :)

btw...some anecdotes on the marriage market await u on ur return! ;D

5:07 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Mannu: Thank you. Long time... how've you been?

Harish: Wow! Thanks!

Sharat: Oh man, don't go n get married. Wait for me to come and ok or un-ok the girl! :p

7:02 AM  
Blogger aks said...

hey love....beautiful and romantic....

12:52 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Aks: Thank you love!

7:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You know this post has actually inspired Don Henley to write a song on it!!!

:)

Loved this line -

The alarm would be the signal for us if we were at the far ends of the bed, to come closer to each other, find comfortable nooks and curves that hold and contain...

You actually made me long for love!

3:48 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Lazy Strokes: Everyone longs for a love. Don Henley?

7:31 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Don Henley from Eagles..

8:57 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Lazy Strokes: Lol- I didn't realize that you were refering to the title of the post! I was wondering what song the Eagles sang- with the whole 'situation' in mind!!!!

7:11 AM  
Blogger Lost in trance... said...

'There were no nightmares and dream was a kiss away.'

sums it. beautiful.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Lost in trance: I see you are reading up on me!

9:01 PM  
Blogger phatichar said...

Reminds me a lot about 'Before Sunrise'.. one of my fav movies - watch it if you can.. :)

12:10 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Phatichar: I really enjoyed the movie! And fell all over love and again with Ethan Hawke!

6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home