Monday, November 07, 2005

Hello...

I’d met him over the small window of the yahoo messenger. No, I am not a chat room person. Neither was he. Lets just say- we were the ‘victims’ of a match-making fiesta by good willed relatives.

Hesitant conversation. Wary. And curious too. I was too young to be married then. It seemed a laughable matter and I plunged fully into ‘no-ing’ the whole thing.

He was nice enough to find a love and nicer still to be thinking on a long-term basis with her. He never gave me a chance to ‘no’ him. I’ll never forgive him for that.

When he told me that he was in love and not with me, that’s when I think I actually began liking him.

We’d spoken once. Just once. A late night conversation, when I sat on the stairs and spoke in hushed tones, which seemed way too loud for the night… I liked his voice.

He was busy trying to make a decent pattern of his life. I was young enough to dance through life and make everyone else dance. It wasn’t the right time for ‘us’.

And like all good things, we lost in touch. But any mention of a name, as his, and I would smile to myself… I like his name.

The next call was four years later.

The moment I picked up the phone and heard the voice on the other end, I knew it was he. Both of us were surprised.

Once again hesitant conversation… Then leaving all bashfulness behind, a hearty conversation with both of us having so much to say and yet nothing at all.

His voice lingered in my head long after the receiver was replaced in the cradle. I like his laugh.

He is married now. And not to me.

I wonder if he’s told his wife about me. Especially when there is nothing to say.

24 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Bugleboy: Weren't you surprised at the complete ease of conversation?

1:42 PM  
Blogger Accidental Fame Junkie said...

Extremely sorry to drop into this conversation but just wanted to tell Poornima that good post! i loved the lyricism. This post qualifies as Short short fiction. Do keep writing!

10:17 PM  
Blogger Arun said...

As usual, heart moving! And LOL!!! I love the last two lines!

11:41 PM  
Blogger Hyde said...

Start imagination. Roll camera. Action!

...

"Darling, who were you speaking to?"

"Somebody I spoke to 4 years ago. Somebody my relatives tried to set me up with."

...

Something Hyde's tales could use. Heh, heh.

12:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi poornima,
dhanya here again! yeah i stopped blogging. that was due to professional reasons. but now, i am kinda relaxed and try writing, words just fail to come off!
the post: as usual good thoughts, good words...but maybe it is the pepper chicken in my tummy, and the hot afternoon, i felt that it lacked the punch somewhere. mayb the emotion didn't convey the mood right! dunno...!

1:06 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Phoebe: Wow! Long time... Hope you're doing good. Thank you!

Arun: Guess what? Someone told me I am too depressing and am gonna chase off all my readers!!!

Hyde: And then the 'darling' sleeps in the shower!

Dhanya: Ah... It might not be the pepper chicken you know!

Shim chech: Do you know any other guy who has to get married and not to me?

7:22 AM  
Blogger Sujit said...

Nice.. nice memories last for long..

7:38 AM  
Blogger R said...

really nice.. love the pic.. took sometime to figure out why it was put there.. but then finally ;-)

8:31 AM  
Blogger Hyde said...

The sofa, the bathtub, the kitchen sink. The choice is endless.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Arun said...

Chase your readers to your next beautiful post!

9:15 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Sujit: Good and bad things make for memories respectively. The everyday insignificance of today might make a memory tomorrow... you never really know.

Rohit: I so love B&W pictures! *sigh*

Hyde: Or the dog house!

Arun: What would I do without you!!!!!

9:36 AM  
Blogger Arun said...

Be a more saner person, perhaps!

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dudette!
*sigh* u really make me wanna record such interesting events....perhaps I'll record them for u to pen down someday ;)
Dec 20 is it?! seems far ;p

8:49 PM  
Blogger Accidental Fame Junkie said...

Hi Poornima, yupp, it's been a long time! I hope you're doing good too! Since you turn out short pieces, maybe you should try doing the 55 word short fiction that is going around. I did it.

9:15 PM  
Blogger Praveen said...

You can find solace in one fact, that he did not forget you either, since he called you up after four years.

one observation on your writing. The sentences are smaller and much simpler too :).

11:49 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Arun: Sanity and insanity... both are extremes. I am somewhere in the middle.

Sharat: Lazy you are! You can write and awfully well at that, am sure! 20th...yup, that's the day!

Phoebe: Oh- I did it too. Here's my 55!

Praveen: I've noticed that you seem to enjoy the shorter, simpler posts a lot more than the others I churn out!
And he is better off not marrying me- trust me!!!

Shim chech: Damn- this time it cannot be credited to me!

6:52 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Shim Chech: Nooooooooooo.......!!!

3:23 PM  
Blogger hope and love said...

simply superb..!!

12:27 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Hope and love: Thank you.

7:08 AM  
Blogger the Monk said...

k, that really was good...as the cliche goes, maybe this can be (probably already is) the beginning of a beautiful relationship...

12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

huh! an ode to he ...

L_D

8:39 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

The monk: Well, it will be if the next call doesnt come another 4 years later!

L_D: How've you been? Lol! Ode huh?

7:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

payee.....this is beautiful!!!!! i loved it!!!!!!!!!!

6:49 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Anon: Lol! Who is this now?

8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home