Thursday, September 27, 2007

Bridge Across Forever

am easily talked into things, I muse. Sitting in the car on a day that I am stolen from office. I couldn't resist his wind washed hair and an unspoken promise of fun.

Its a dark afternoon. Pouting clouds. Just a fistful of sky.

We love bridges. Both of us. Places that connect unwanted paths. Or desires even.

The first drop of rain on asking arms. Biblical almost...

And we stop the car to get down... amongst hurrying passersby to safer eaves. The wind that's picked up dust from unswept corners that pushes everyone away. A tug at a scarf, a pull at the person, a yank at the umbrellas...

Raindrops knock on unopened eyelids.

The car's blinkers rhyme in unerring patterns of light.

It rains a generous rain. Our clothes tired of protest, give up and cling to us in the beating rain.

We stand at a point where the bridge arches in defeat.

Descent... he corrects me.

What's the exact point called, we both know not.

Bridge-0-bow...

The exact moment his lips close on mine I think is somewhere between the half formed O and the surprise caught beforehand.

Maybe this is what is called stealing words from one's mouth.


16 Comments:

Blogger Suma Subramaniam said...

lovely lines Poornima...

"raindrops knock on unopened eyelids"

"bridge arches in defeat/descent"

Very well done!

10:49 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Suma: Ty! :)

5:37 AM  
Blogger Nikhil Narayanan said...

Wow!!
This one is superb!!!
Well written...
Regards

12:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know how you get your words so well crafted for your blog, but it's truly excellent. The pictures definitely compliment the words and title. Great work. I got to read your blog through one of my friend. I don't know if you know her or not, but I've decided to bookmark your blog :)

Keep writing!

8:35 AM  
Blogger djnair said...

"Stealing words from one's mouth"...hey dear...where were u??almost got over my addiction to check on your page for the weekly dosage :)

9:55 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Nikhil: :) Ty!

Sunil: You weren't fair- there's absolutely nothing out there to tell me who she is!!!

Djnair: Oh... here n there! And what addiction is that, that you get over in a week!? :P

1:01 AM  
Blogger Preetha Nair said...

:) you are simply the best.....
Every time I read a new post here I start admiring you a little more ...

3:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi,
what is that they etch on the rear viewers - objects are closer than you think they are - stealth is how it comes in love and war. unfair isn't it!!! a great post. the flirting with the hearts bring out measurably "un"-circumspect but irrationally proven upheavals.

10:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@Poornima-Yeah, I still haven't put a name, 'coz I still haven't confirmed with her. Keep waiting. It's good to have a bit of mystery in life, right?

2:25 AM  
Blogger Sudarshan. A. G. said...

Smooth.

9:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely ! :) In case you havent read this book called "The bridges of Madison County" you should try it out :))

7:55 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Preetha: :) Ty!

OAC: Stays only as a post- deaf as a post.

Sunil: But lemme know.

Sudarshan: Like the ocean? :)

Sherry: Kincaid. Exists only in books. Or as Francessa say- mayb the last of his kind.

12:10 AM  
Blogger Sudarshan. A. G. said...

;-)

1:43 AM  
Blogger Samyak said...

I bow to thee!! You are my godess, atleast when it comes to playing with words.

Another bow if this was fiction.

Very few things give me goosebumps. This was one of them.

5:11 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Samyak: :))

11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@Poornima-I think it's been ages since I visited here. I was thinking of getting my own blog and I didn't :( So, I had forgotten your blog. I remembered the link today and here I am, back :) My friend's name is Archie :p

11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home