Thursday, August 16, 2007

Bombay dreams

For a small town girl like me, you'd think Bombay was an experience. It was.



I loved the anonymity in the trains. Pressing against unfamiliar bodies. The stale smell of sweat and the intimacy of another person's odor. You frantically lower your head and soak in the familiar smell of your own body and take deep breaths. Refuge in the known.

I loved bargaining with the shopkeepers. We both knew I was lousy at it. But the sense of importance you feel when you quote a ridiculously low price, the mock horror at his being almost robbed, the pout that is reluctant to leave and his coaxing of your petulance. All the world is a stage.

I loved standing by the waterfront, the arabesque sprays touching your salty skin. Our umbrellas flap recklessly. A scarf that's curved fashionably on slender necks tugs to let go. If alone letting go was that easy.

I loved sitting at marine drive. An old friend and past conversation. Somewhere in between we'd stopped making new memories. So this time we made an effort. Her eyes are watchful of the many bags of won deals that I have carelessly scattered around me. She is on her guard, lest someone nabs what she considers my recently acquired possessions. I don't have the heart to tell her that I never wanted most of what I bought. They'd remain in mothball scented cupboards, a memento that I'd never bother looking at.

And the stars... Oh, we never saw any.

18 Comments:

Blogger Lazith Aziz said...

Another good snap!

Its not about the snap but about carefully picking(read as flicking) it up! which says the story written..:-)

and i am again the first one to shout!

11:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah dear..
so they made u feel that u were bargaining..:)?
Nice though..
(for me its not taking refuge that i do it for....jus checkin the scent of the 180 bucks that i spent on some stupid deo ...:)..)

2:43 AM  
Blogger Sujith said...

hw it reminds me of our Bombay days.. especially the Marine Drive were we used to spend weekends in full, to return to our house in the last local!

3:47 AM  
Blogger Cindrella said...

nice post.
i hate the crowd in trains in mumbai and the odour that prevails ,specially in summer.

3:53 AM  
Blogger Alok said...

needless to say Poornima, I enjoyed it immensely

and mam u r simply too good

"But the sense of importance you feel when you quote a ridiculously low price - well brilliant

"Somewhere in between we'd stopped making new memories - Poornima, I can give anything at this moment to think like this

alok

5:14 AM  
Blogger Suma Subramaniam said...

Wonderful detail, Poornima. Well done!

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

went to churchgate on the local train, bought stuff at fashion st., sat on marine drive talking.

thankfully for us, all of us aren't so brief.

btw, in Mumbai , there's always something missing from one's life. always

8:42 PM  
Blogger Supernova said...

"If alone letting go was that easy."
I recently discovered ur blog n iam glad i did:)
Ur attention to detail is simply WOW!

11:53 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Lazith: Mixed bag your comment is! :)

Anon: They always make the women feel good!

Jithu: Lovely place! Sigh!

Cindrella: It can get quite strong, yes.

Alok: :)

Suma: Ty!

Anon: You kina summed up my trip!

Supernova: Welcome here!

12:44 AM  
Blogger BaKfIrE said...

was present there for sec...good one(as usual):)

4:03 AM  
Blogger aks said...

hey sweetheart......loved it a lot...maybe cause my recent CAL experiences were similar jus for the fact tat instead of the marine drive u have the hoogly banks...the crowd,aimless shopping sprees,it was amazing....n i too didn c stars....maybe u arent supposed to xpect them in CAL...

7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You may have heard this before. Im saying this to you for the first time.

You can let it go...the question is ..do you really want to ?

2:02 PM  
Blogger AK said...

look deep down into the soul of the maximum city....the reflections are interesting....

the snap: hmmm....the rod holding the hand or ....

3:17 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Bakfire: Ty!

Aks: Wish I was there!

Anon: I dont.

Greenhorn: Or...?

2:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Poornima!

How are you ? I am a regular reader of your blog and it is really nice to see frequent posts these days :)Loved reading this one especially when I could relate to the places... Missing Bombay more now :(


Cheers!

Reshmi

11:31 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Reshmi: Welcome here! I'd write all the time if alone I had the time!

9:47 PM  
Blogger Sudarshan. A. G. said...

Good trip.

Need to meet up with a few.

Hope its just as simple :)

12:41 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Sudarshan: The complex parts were edited and deemed fit to be removed from this otherwise simple post! :P

4:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home