Sunday, June 03, 2007

Curtain Fall

It rains. In small dainty drops of virgin brides.

My aunt doesn't seem to mind. I see her talking to her cow. In cross section- through the iron bars on my window.

The orange chintz curtain, from the cloth that my uncle in one of his travels brought back. Along with his mistress. Family secrets that do not deserve to be told.

That's why my aunt must have cut the pretty cloth- the joy in shaping at least something.

And my cousin. His hands that turned green whatever they touched.

Food that were laced with green peppers. Spices of varying scents, flavors and textures. All from his garden. His garden which changed tastes to suit his mood. There was the summer of anger. The winter of colorlessness. And the spring that never blossomed.

When I came back from my travels, he asked me what I had brought for him.

No green saplings. No brown seeds. No red flowers. No earth touched roots.

The only thing that I could afford to carry was my loss. It occupied all the space there was.

9 Comments:

Blogger cafm said...

are u a writer? :)

4:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fabulous last line.

1:24 PM  
Blogger Jubin George said...

Once addicted, morbidness is too sweet to resist. Is it not? Then it is no wonder that when one tries to fill emptiness with void, the emptiness enlarges :)

11:58 PM  
Blogger BaKfIrE said...

Where is the spice gone ? Sounding down.

2:25 AM  
Blogger AaaDee said...

Hi Poornima

Its almost an year that I am reading your blog. And I am truely addicted to it. I am sure I should be the first one to buy and read your book once published. Good luck and keep writing for us.

Cheers
--Deepika

5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You seem to be a good human being who loves to cherish even the silliest incident of your younger years..

9:09 AM  
Blogger aks said...

hey sweetheart.....
beautiful as always.... conveying a lot.... dont sound down dear.....life will definitely fill up that empty space.....

2:52 AM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

longchamp handbags
nike epic react
coach outlet sale
golden goose sneakers
balenciaga shoes
off white clothing
nike vapormax
jordan shoes
asics running shoes
air jordan

2:08 AM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

goyard
yeezy
yeezy shoes
balenciaga
golden goose sneakers
yeezys
golden goose
golden goose

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home