Monday, April 16, 2007

Raining under my umbrella

So what if you have to deal with a little bit of rain if you have to get your weekly shopping done? Ok... So you didn’t anticipate it and you step out and you feel the drizzle.

You contemplate if the drizzle is worthy of carrying an umbrella. After all you are from India and more so from a part of India that is blessed with rain almost all year through, so much so that it becomes a part of your life- like morning tea.

People don’t stop to consider if it’s raining. My aunt would forget her handbag, her husband and her children- but never her umbrella.

So I think all this and get quite wet. The drops fall slowly but surely. And I don’t know what rules apply to a wet passport and I don’t want to risk what I really do not know. So I walk back inside after opening two doors and look for the umbrella that came with the house.

Tiny umbrellas are the latest in India I heard. And I am not too pleased with the only offer I have. My grandpa had a better one… but well, enough of all this complaining. The shops close early here.

So I walk down, armed with an umbrella that can house an entire family- a conservative, listening to the government and investing in condoms family I mean.

Rain anywhere is beautiful.

In front of me walks an old lady; wispy white hair and all…

The drops glisten on her cobwebby hair…

I think of home and an incident of rain-kindness.

And pay it forward.

I walk forward and pause when my steps rhyme with hers. Slow and small… The edge of the umbrella moves sidewise, making her a part of my life of a few steps.

She looks surprised. Startled, I must confess.

Smile- the first language we have in common.

And we walk along. When it comes to the bus stop that she must get off, she touches my arm that holds the handle.

Touch- the second language we have in common.

That’s where I leave her, under the canopy of the bus stop at the corner of the street.

I hope I made her a good story to tell someone who would care to hear.

Its time to close the umbrella.

26 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me first to post a comment!

But dont know what to post...

Reading your posts and commenting have somehow become a routine practice :)

You are a wonderful writer!

10:00 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Poornima: Ha ha! Your comment made me laugh! :) Ty!

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just happened to read ur blog once ... now am an addict

now u've started writing comments for urself too :)
good... i have much more to read

11:31 AM  
Blogger A Liberated Soul said...

Those novels I managed to get from India would remain unread if you write like this. This good!

8:51 PM  
Blogger Sudarshan. A. G. said...

'Rain-kindness'. Man Vs Nature? :)

9:42 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Anon: Lol! Poornima happens to be the name of a reader too! I was merely replying to her comments!

Liberated Sou: What are their names? Books I mean...

Sudarshan: Kindness is universal no?

11:54 PM  
Blogger A Liberated Soul said...

Books of Indian authors.

12:16 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Liberated Soul: They have names dont they! :)

1:15 AM  
Blogger A Liberated Soul said...

Ladies Coupe(Anita Nair)& Scenes from a writer's life (Ruskin Bond)

2:13 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Liberated Soul: Ladies coupe... I wasnt very impressed with that one. But Ruskin Bond is amazing! Enjoy...

2:23 AM  
Blogger Manu said...

The aspiration to be the first is contagious. I am not the one anymore. :(

2:31 AM  
Blogger Manu said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:45 AM  
Blogger Manu said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:16 AM  
Blogger Rajesh said...

Poornima

Your writing reminds me a lot of the way Amoz Oz writes. Currently reading 'The Same Sea'. Try reading it (if you already haven't). I am sure you will enjoy it.

7:37 AM  
Blogger Jubin George said...

I used to live in a place close to the sea, and now I live someplace far away from any sea. And when a rare rain comes, I know it's the sea that comes for a visit! Rain is a miracle. And it's fun to get drenched when you have a safe roof. :)

12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You write about simple things beautifully... :)

Priya

1:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You bring life to each of these words. Absolutely beautiful!

3:03 AM  
Blogger BaKfIrE said...

Nothing to comment - as gud as always.

3:35 AM  
Blogger Sudarshan. A. G. said...

Kindness isn't universal. Kindness might emanate from you but of no use if it doesn't have a sink. If there are two of them and you have to decide? A kindness towards one person might be detrimental to the other.

11:19 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Manu: Dont go making up your balance sheet again! :)

Rajesh: Nope. Never read him. And cant seem to find any of his work online! :(

Jubin: Thats a lovely thought! Raining the sea! :)

Priya: Ty! :)

1:08 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Nivedhitha: Ty! :)

Bakfire: Thank you as always!

Sudarshan: Nope. Kindness is universal. And if it reaches a person who does not pass it on, I would think that it would be like the bit of sand in the oyester. Uncomfortabe at first and later something beautiful. Ah... am all philosophical today!!

1:09 PM  
Blogger Rajesh said...

Poornima

A library???
Buying a book for a change???
Something other than piracy???

:-)

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Posts...keep it up..

4:53 AM  
Blogger Purnima said...

>> Rain anywhere is beautiful.

Yes, it is. And so is your post! :-)

9:42 AM  
Blogger jasonbob said...

longchamp
jordan retro
jordan shoes
moncler outlet
golden goose sneakers
moncler
nike kyrie 6
golden goose
jordan shoes
supreme t shirt

8:07 PM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

moncler
hermes belt
yeezy
yeezy boost 350 v2
kd shoes
kd shoes
a bathing ape
stephen curry shoes
off white jordan 1
jordan shoes

10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home