Thursday, March 23, 2006

I finally found someone

I see him watch me. Cats. Pay them attention and they'll never be yours. Like many women. Like some children.

He slips off the sofa where he till then sat, beside the only woman in his life.
He climbs in beside the brown suede I sit on. How fickle love is.

Unmasked attention after a long time. The woman in me revels in it, noiselessly though.

Let me get it for you. I walk into my room to bring something that I just promised.

A shadow. And another one trails behind.

Opening my cupboard, I rummage through it.

Are you married? My other shadow asks me.

There is a conspiracy, I am convinced.

Do I look like I am, I want to ask. I realize its not a question he can answer correctly. Or even appropriately.

I shake my head in the negative. No.

I find what I want. But the conversation isn't over yet. I pretend to search still. Fossicking, yes.

"Will you marry me?"

That's a first.

I smile at the clothes. Only they can see my amusement.

Why do you want to marry me? I have to know.

"You look pretty."
His reply is nothing but genuinely superficial. But then, maybe that's all there is to it.

How old are you? I ask my only suitor.

"I turned 5 in November."

Hmmm...I always had this thing for Scorpios.

I bend down and looking into eyes that see no more than what's in front, I ask. Will you grow up soon for me?

Does that mean I should eat well?
Yes.

Does that mean I shouldn't cry?
Not too much, yes.

Does that mean I can't watch Pogo?
Of course you can.

I am not too demanding. I don't want to chase away my only knight who's too young to even climb onto a horse.

My beau thinks I am worth doing it all for. I see the admiring look hasn't vanished.

Giving a quick look-over at my wardrobe, I hear him say, "You have very dull clothes.”

And, “I like red."

And then a few seconds later my-husband-to-be-in-maybe-twenty-years says. "You should show me what dress you wear everyday. And wear it only if I like it."

They're always men. They learn it young.

34 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amaaaazzzzzing!!!! luved it...absolutely....finger-smacking good (metaphorically of course!)...
"the knight that's too short to climb the horse"- reminds me of Lord Forquart in Shrek....hehehehe!!
and Hey!!! All men aren't the same!!
btw...isn't the title that lovely duet by Barbara Streisand and Bryan Adams....lovely song! :D

1:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also was suddenly thinkin abt Malena...well! the boy is slightly older of course....but...Monica Bellucci....ooooooooooooooooh that ooooommphh!!! [wagging tongue!] yes,in this regard we men will always be the same!! ;p

1:17 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Sharat: Yup, that's the song. This one is too young to feel all the emotions that Renato felt! And am not commenting about Bellucci at all!

3:12 AM  
Blogger Lost in trance... said...

'Will you grow up soon for me?'

this opened a memory which had been put away, a memory which i was too busy ignoring! :(

8:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi poornima,

i know you are not married yet. but this kid (read knight)who swept you of your feet was truly too sweet. i used to wonder about the someone i would have got married to, till i got someone out of the ... and what a find it was ... you will and the one you will will call i finally found someone. ciao..keep writing. the shades of joy and positiveness in otherwise drab environ helps a million...

9:38 AM  
Blogger phatichar said...

Cute :). Nephew?

7:53 PM  
Blogger nep said...

I love your style.

9:23 PM  
Blogger nep said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:24 PM  
Blogger aks said...

hey love.....i have got competition???//...but he seems too sweet to compete with...maybe i might let thee be wooed away by this valant knight.......

10:10 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

OAC: Am not married yes. Small joys, small mercies, smiles... well, they make things look better, yes again.

Phatichar: Nope! Son of a colleague!

Nep: Thank you!

Aks: What's with younger-than-I guys and me I wonder!!!

11:45 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Lost in trance: Write about it and we'll all read.

11:46 PM  
Blogger Xoff said...

nice!!!

little girls are the same...

12:46 AM  
Blogger Dhanush | ധനുഷ് said...

Nice :). Especially the way you pick the photographs. "I like Red" is apt there.
You have a great ability in matching the photographs with your article. Excellent !!

2:14 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Xoff: Little girls learn to be coy way early!!!

Dhanush: A lot of time is invested in that! Am glad its liked!

6:10 AM  
Blogger ashish said...

cute :-)

7:00 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Ashish: :o)

7:19 PM  
Blogger Sudarshan. A. G. said...

Cute! and yes, we learn early! :D



*Still wondering about phrases used to find them snaps*

2:20 AM  
Blogger S said...

gr8 post.. at the risk of sounding cliche.. u do have a really unique style of abstraction in all your stories.

2:35 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Sudarshan: You gotta become a research analyst for that!

Outlaw: Your name reminds me of William by Richmal Crompton!

10:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you watch the picture close enough you will find that the "knight" is a cross dresser, or poorni is not checking them wee wees.

3:20 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Anon: Come up with a better picture!

5:17 AM  
Blogger pophabhi said...

Funny and well written. Continue!!

6:33 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Pophabhi: Its been a long day. Tomorrow!

8:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"There is so much hurt in this game of searching for a mate, of testing, trying. And you
realize suddenly that you forget it was game, and turn away in tears."-Sylvia Plath

12:50 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Anon: Wow!

1:14 AM  
Blogger Dhanya said...

Hey, My first best suitor was 3 and a half! When my amma asked him to marry me, he nodded a BIG yes. Amma asked him how much he wanted for dowry, out from that shweet little tongue came the words,"5 lacham (5 lakhs)!" Boys are men, whatever age they are!!!

4:45 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Dhanya: Lol!

5:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

incredibly cute! :D

3:13 AM  
Blogger Scoot said...

hooked to your writing,love the style

3:22 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Anon: :D

Maya: Stay on! :o)

12:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

discovered ur blog via Arun's. and I am glad i did.

this post made me smile :) i am loving it..

11:34 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Amitken: Welcome! :))

3:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

qzz0621
ferragamo outlet
canada goose jackets
michael kors outlet
soccer jerseys
kate spade outlet
polo ralph lauren
ray ban sunglasses
arcteryx jacket
cheap jerseys
burberry outlet

12:12 AM  
Blogger jasonbob said...

lebron shoes
golden goose
off-white
yeezy boost 350 v2
off-white
balenciaga speed
hermes
longchamp bags
balenciaga shoes
balenciaga

8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home