Saturday, March 18, 2006

Dionysus

‘I have something to show you’, I whispered excitedly to Mu. Grandma.

Whispering was fun, they made things seem more exciting than they usually were.

Lifting out all the neatly folded clothes I’d never wear that summer, I took out my secret for the year.

A black and white poster of Jim Morrison. The Christ stance on the cover of ‘The Best of the Doors’.

'Who is he?', Mu playing along, whispered back.

Handing over the poster to her, I whispered the name that made my stomach turn somersaults inside.

A reverential silence.

'He’s so thin', said the woman who was my grandmother.

'He’s almost naked', said my grandmother who was a woman.

I laughed. Mu who’d seen men wearing fewer clothes than Jim Morrison actually saw his nakedness.

Running her hand over his body, Mu paused when she reached his nipples and blushing she let her fingers run the full course till the end of the poster. That’s how he affected the white haired 60-year-old woman in my life.

'Do you want to hear his songs?', I asked her.

That’s how she heard The Doors, the round band of the Sony Walkman sitting ridiculously on her head, like a line of black flowers marching towards nowhere.

It was sinful, such music to ears that had heard nothing but songs of devotion. I blushed on thinking if she ever understood what he was saying, how horrified she would be. But maybe she did for she blushed too.

Laughing to dispel the blush, we both put up his poster on the dark side of the wall in my room that summer.

31 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim Morrison couldn't have asked for more. Or better.

5:37 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Anon: Am sure he's turning in his grave seeing your comment!!

6:04 AM  
Blogger arvindiyer said...

I had the exact same poster in my room and in my office too..and he has been a real inspiration all my life...and continues to!!!

COME HERE

11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sweet..

12:38 AM  
Blogger Arun said...

caraminaMUrana

7:04 AM  
Blogger Lost in trance... said...

sacrilege! blasphemy!

or a cool Mu. :)

5:48 PM  
Blogger പാപ്പാന്‍‌/mahout said...

stylan post...

6:06 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Arvind: Before I realized how good his songs were, I realized how good he looked.

OAC: :)

Arun: ?

Lost in trance: All of the above.

Mahout: Lol! Long since I heard that phrase!

12:20 AM  
Blogger sinusoidally said...

What a cute grandma!

8:48 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Sinusoidally: She was a holy terror too! At least that's what she wanted everyone else think!

10:52 AM  
Blogger Sudarshan. A. G. said...

Bacchus! Truly Bacchus!

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Arun meant to jokingly rephrase CarminaBurana which is the famous choir music you hear with the 'old-spice' ad...
CarminaMUrana....hilarious dude!!!
:D

10:55 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Sudarshan: And I bet they wouldn't have looked half as good!

Anon: Aha Arun!

12:28 AM  
Blogger Dhanya said...

Oh Man! Blasphemous! U made ur grand mom, feel morrison! and then made her listen to him too...!!!

:D

4:33 AM  
Blogger Arun said...

Thanks Anon. And the connection Poornima, CaraminaBurana is an original Doors composition.

5:38 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Dhanya: Blasphemy. Yes. As always!

Arun: Ah! So you get yourself called a dude huh?! :p

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how u still weave out the subtle events in life, in words...and nevertheless those articulated pics to complete the garland...so sweet! I am curious if Mu has any secrets!

Loved ur rain pics !!

L_D

7:39 PM  
Blogger clash said...

A welcome break :)- But at the cost of Mr.Morrison!!

8:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I was actually looking around to see who was playing 'light my fire', and realized it was just me. A sinful post. JM wud be proud.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

L_D: Oh GOD!!!! It was just the other day I was wondering what happenend to you! How've you been? Btw, Mu died a long while ago. And her secrets with her.

Clash: It was a reverential post! He has no reason to be offended!

Lazy_Strokes: The voice! Come on baby, light my fire...

1:59 AM  
Blogger Arun said...

Yep! Being called a dude in your mid-life IS a compliment.

2:20 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Arun: You aren't that old! (I KNOW you wanted me to say that!!!)

6:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhh!! So Sorry to hear that Mu is no more. I am ok. My Grandma passed away recently. Thanks for remembering me :)

LD

1:58 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

L_D: Sorry about your grandma. And, certain people are unforgettable.

3:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indeed, they create such a void in oneself, as reconcilation stands no chance.

L_D

7:28 AM  
Blogger aks said...

hey love........jim morrison for mu...shud say amazing choice....

10:14 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

L_D: No need for reconcilation I think here!

Aks: That could've been a better title- Jim Morrison for Mu!

11:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

qzz0621
kobe 9
cheap football shirts
longchamp handbags
gucci outlet
canada goose outlet
true religion jeans
michael kors outlet
cheap jordans
valentino outlet
kevin durant shoes

12:11 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

www0727
adidas outlet online
adidas outlet
adidas superstar
adidas superstars
adidas yeezy
yeezy
yeezy boost 350 v2
yeezy boost 350
adidas yeezy







12:40 AM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

air jordan
jordan shoes
hermes belt
timberland
coach outlet
goyard
nike max
coach factory outlet
nike vapormax
curry 6

2:07 AM  
Blogger Leonardi linken said...

Your content helped me a lot to take my doubts, amazing content, thank you very much for sharing. Visit my profile McDonough

2:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home