Monday, May 26, 2008

But you are a song

This time when you went away, you took a part of me that I didn't know existed.

Waking up together and in the same world was the best thing this summer. You were still a phone call away but the distance was shorter. And hearing your morning voice, the one-before-best thing.

I could only whisper into your ear that I loved you. And you held me a little away and looked into me and told me the same. And I believed you.

And the next secret I whispered to you, I kissed you. Both of us were shocked. Its just that I couldn't resist touching you with my lips when you were but a nose distance away.

And we went to your college. You showed me everywhere that mattered and that didn't. Everywhere mattered really.

We'd squeezed through the prickly hedge and sneaked into the football ground. That was the prettiest night I ever will remember. You'd held my hand and we'd walked a little. We heard the drone of a faraway plane. We listened to the intimate night sounds. And we kissed.

I had to stand on tiptoe to reach you. Aiming for greater heights.
You had to bend low to reach me. So you lifted me up.

People tilt their faces while kissing otherwise which the nose comes in the way. We didn't have to. I have a small nose you said.

And the first time we had almost sex. You'd flicked a condom from your unsuspecting friend. And you'd confessed to me with almost embarrassment that you'd thought about carrying one.

Do you remember how I'd always said that we move from first base to directly the third? There are no shortcuts I learnt that summer when your hand went under my blouse. And how it paused every inch, worried. And finally when we were done with removing the many layers which we insisted on wearing even in summer, I looked at you. And you at me. The sunlight dappled on our naked bodies leaving fragmented patterns of warmth.

Do you remember how the doorbell rang and we jumped out of our skins. We didn't have any clothes to jump out of them anyway. I discovered that day how soon I can get dressed. Before the second insistent peal could be heard, I was signing for the courier in my roommate's name.

I'd staggered back and pressed into you, relieved. We'd both burst out laughing and gone inside to wear our clothes properly all over again.

It was the summer of incompleteness. Of almost sex and never enough kisses. Of watermelon juices that got over before you drank them to fill. Of bike rides that were too short. Of insatiable hugs. Of damp beach sands that dried too soon.



How you left is another story.

29 Comments:

Blogger Dhanush | ധനുഷ് said...

Awesomely Romantic !!!

Want to hear the story how he left. Did he vanish in thin air?

2:56 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Dhanush: He took the early morning flight out.

5:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How did the sunlight manage it in?

5:55 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Anon: Coz we left the windows open?

6:49 AM  
Blogger Pratz said...

"But you are a song" ...interesting title...
Beautiful post...the way u have written it...and the last line...the most striking factor....as if an aburpt end to a never ending song....

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved the last line :)

11:16 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Pratz: All songs end. Or maybe you just go deaf.

Xeres: :) How's you girl?

11:49 PM  
Blogger Urvir said...

Interesting one...I came to your blog from alink from another blog and it was worth coming to your page....

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've had one such experience. I could related to it so well and am laughing all over! :P

Beautiful!

1:32 PM  
Blogger Samyak said...

Are you always singing the same song? or are there others?

8:12 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Bunti: Welcome here.

Mahesh: So when n where do we get to read about it?

Samyak: Gonna be this song forever now.

11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

U do ur job perfectly - writing & I'll do mine - just sit back and enjoy. :P

Believe me it was exactly the same with very few changes! :P

5:30 AM  
Blogger Sanukuttan said...

Good One. Loved the way you write.(First blog of ours though)(will return)

Thanks

1:55 AM  
Blogger Moonstruck Girl said...

Hi Poornima,

Romantic :) Vivid too :)

Cheers,
Me

8:56 AM  
Blogger pb said...

"This time when you went away, you took a part of me that I didn't know existed." I can feel that after going through your blog, you took not a part but whole of me away Poornima.

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'I Love Walking in Rain because Nobody can see Me Crying'

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

People come into your life for a reason, a season, or a lifetime. When you figure out which it is, you will know exactly what to do.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Mahesh: Well.. I can listen too and pretty well at that!

Sanu: Welcome and thank you.

Impulsive: Not graphic no? :)

Pbeswar: Oh! Well, I dont know what to do with it now!

Anon: Am not too fond of Chaplin somehow.

Anon: By the time I figured that out, learnt all lessons and burnt all fingers.

10:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

U stubborn lil lady! :x :D

Are all women like this? jus kidding :P

12:23 AM  
Blogger Bijoy said...

So vivid and such amazing writing. Too good! Haven't you started writing the book? I'd suggest a title, "The ethereal ride of absolute solitude".

7:25 PM  
Blogger kriti said...

I went through some of your posts... Terribly unfair how well you write. Made me feel like crying many a times because I could feel so many emotions welling up inside me..

I'll quote some of the lines I liked the most:
"Unlike me. I'm still saying goodbye to a person long gone."

"I'd forgotten to build walls with you. By the time I'd remembered, you were already inside."

I'm hooked to your blog now... See you again.

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're awesome.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Mahesh: A woman who isn't unreasonable is hardly woman!

Bijoy: Lovely title!

Kriti: :) See you around so...

Anon: :) I wont add to that.

11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet! :D

7:06 PM  
Blogger CPhaniS said...

That was below the belt!! Too practical!!!

4:24 AM  
Blogger Pratz said...

rather...i just get lost in the lyrics...never realising that i has to end...the same happened with this post...

8:48 AM  
Blogger vimalgasper said...

Awesome is a word which I would have to start my every comment in your blog. So, this is the last time in future its the basis assumption for your blog.
Awesome, romantic and really touches ones heart... Your words goes directly to the heart it doesn't even pass through the periphery of brain to logically dismantle and analyze it critically which I believe I'm very good at.

11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poornima :)

Is it just you, me and a few more who could relate to your words? love is the same to everyone? But not everyone can express it the way you do. You have one regular reader now who has enormous amount of respect for you.

If only I could get such words for my blog!

8:53 AM  
Blogger Kartick Sitaraman said...

I am going to steal someone else's lines because I can't find any better...
'A stranger walks into your life and says, "I think I love you; I always have...'

I intended to read more posts, but I'm going to skip it. Anything that might not connect like this one will dilute this...

I'll come back after time has done that job.

10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home