Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Glass drops of rain

A gypsy drop of rain falls on the eyelashes. Caught between parted strands of unreasonably short hair, they linger a moment. The lashes struggle with the unexpected weight. They cant hold longer onto what will be lost. I close my eyes.

-----


The misty sprays fall on the face. Very like the first wash of the morning. When the white worn cotton towel doesn't rub off all the water. A little moist they stay only to be drunk by the later sun.

-----


I see 3 pairs of slippers mom has scrubbed clean. She'd left them in the sun to dry. The sudden rain had caught them unawares. I refuse to take them inside. They can dry again in a sun that will always come again.

-----


I write on a paper that gets wetter every minute. My sister gets me a steaming mug of tea. I let it rest by my side. I see the pale brown tea jump out each time a drop of rain falls in it. A runaway hold-cold drop touches my arm. An unfaithful drop of rain washes it away and it trickles down my hand like a vanishing memory. I drink it all up later, with more water than what my sister added.

-----


I watch a single raindrop. The perfect place to build a castle. I walk away before the drop falls and the castle...

15 Comments:

Blogger varun said...

cant hold longer onto what will be lost
a sun that will always come again
an unfaithful drop of rain washes it away...

good lines :)

8:33 PM  
Blogger varun said...

and of course, the fear to see the castle break, the drop fall...

8:35 PM  
Blogger djnair said...

Ah..atleast it rained there...washing away the suspense...its still clouded n gloomy here..waiting for the release..:)

8:37 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Varun: He he! Thank you!

Dj: It'll always come.

4:51 AM  
Blogger abinash said...

Hmm. Beautiful as always. :)
Stay beautiful!

6:59 AM  
Blogger Alok said...

beautifully written


Alok

7:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good one :-) Not sure if I have to admit that way as I fail to understand most of it. Cant read too much between the lines. However, the inverted castle locked within that droplet, perfectly summarised your feeling. Have you noticed that that thorn has played its role to channel that droplet, build that castle, invert it, bring the sky upside down and eventually kik-it-out?. But it still stays as a "thorn in the branch" cute and photogenic :-) Thats life.

10:29 AM  
Blogger one among the crowd said...

hi poornima,

couldn't stop smiling....i love(d) the rain....

3:34 AM  
Blogger Monsieur K said...

beautifully written :)

4:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"An unfaithful drop of rain washes it away and it trickles down my hand like a vanishing memory."

:)

6:31 AM  
Blogger AaaDee said...

just so gr8 that i saved the lines in my personal notes..:)

congratulations..!

12:57 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Abinash: Copyright that line soon, else you'll see some cosmetic company using it! :)

Alok: Ty!

Still learning: There is so much to learn in the lines written, leave alone the unwritten!

OAC: High five!

Anon: :)

Aaadeee: Ty!

8:13 PM  
Blogger Rambler said...

"When the white worn cotton towel doesn't rub off all the water. A little moist they stay only to be drunk by the later sun.."

excellent use of words.,,

6:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful indeed.

7:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful picture...:-)

11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home