Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Down to the last cigarette

It was one of the few birthdays he had. It wasn't too hard thinking of a suitable gift.

His eyebrows went a tad up I think on seeing the perky red ribbon. All gifts are to be wrapped, I insist.

A pack of cigarettes. Happy birthday.

He was convinced yet again that I was the only person who ever understood him.

I saw him wonder whether to light one right away or whether my sentiment would be offended if not. Women's sentiments were a sore subject with him. I saw his quizzical look gauging both my femininity and sentimentality.

A smile offers him the answer.

How long would he take to smoke it all?

Soon.

How soon is soon?

A day, he sighs.

I was to be called when he lit each one. It isn't a woman's duty to make anything easier.

I watched him light each one.

The smile wore down at towards the end... I think. I cannot be sure on that.

When the final one was lit n blown away, he aimed the empty carton at the basket.

Oh no! He was to save the golden silver paper of the pack, didn’t he know?! How else was my present remembered!

As he watched in trepidation, the small chin quivered in protest at this seemingly callous thought of his. Or lack of thought actually.

He later confided to a grown up chin, that it was the first time he considered quitting smoking.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

'Simply' beautiful.

4:05 AM  
Blogger Chugs said...

would've worked on me too (am gullible that way) but not everybody is as thoughtful i suppose. the end result is what matters anyway...

6:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

father?

8:29 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Anon: Ty!

Chugs: I know what to get you when we meet! 'Dowry' enough? :P

Anon: Son and holy spirit.

8:45 PM  
Blogger dharmabum said...

didn't strike me as one of those posts thats truly YOUR kind.

strange enough though, i got a pack on my birthday too. not sure if it was understanding or what, but was glad nevertheless.

12:34 AM  
Blogger Samyak said...

What do I get? I don't smoke!!

6:30 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Balu: Did I forget it again? Ok- yeah, when have I remembered it?! Cuss!

Samyak: Many birthdays more.

8:49 PM  
Blogger aks said...

hey sweetheart..... planning to make me kick the bud.....its getting worse these dayz....have an xcuse....to survive the cold....

8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well written. loved the presentation. Sujith

6:51 AM  
Blogger Amit Jain said...

Brilliant Piece!

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Poornima

Really its very hard to understand girls mind but its beautiful.

:)

10:35 AM  
Blogger The Lady-Next-Door said...

yeah!! 'simply' beautiful

4:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home