Monday, January 07, 2008

Stars don't cry

Do you remember...

How we met one summer- just as you were going out and I was coming in?

How the next summer we went to the zoo to watch the Hippos yawn? How we'd laughed at monkeys and people alike?

The summer that we first dealt with death? Your hand that you gave me across your bed and mine. I'd taken it and slept holding it. 'Stars don’t cry'. I’d wiped my eyes.

Do you remember how you'd come to see me, dirty collars and a dusty cycle? How we'd talk sitting beside each other on the brown steps of the neighbor’s house, ignoring the pointed looks of our chaperone?

When the next summer we went to the snake house? Why did we go to strange places? When you tapped on the glass cage and the tired snake gave us a scornful look, I know we both were a little scared though we pretended otherwise.

Do you remember how you confessed your fear of spiders to me?

Do you remember how we would long to be alone, away from the curious eyes of a cousin neither of us wanted?

Do you remember that sultry summer when you told me I'd changed. When you smiled at the changes of my growing body? I'd smacked you from behind the chair you sat on, trying to hide my blush. I was glad you'd noticed it. It really took a painfully long time growing!

Do you remember the saree I wore for your brother's wedding? Managing it was a so damn irritating especially when my eyes kept looking for you. I know you searched for me too. When you finally found me and brought those friends of yours and I saw their mouths droop in disappointment, my lips trembled. But when I saw the way you always looked at me, the blue saree didn't seem too awful then and I smiled my first smile of that day. I always looked best in your eyes.

Do you remember when we sat on the beach holding hands? I want you to forget that conversation.

You remember how you walked away and I never called you back?
I never knew you walked away.
You never knew I’d called a thousand times.

Stars don’t cry. Only fallen stars do.


13 Comments:

Blogger Alok said...

I loved the way u ended .. wnjoyable read as always

6:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Time is supposed to heal is nt it? It may not heal. But the human mind forgets.

6:42 AM  
Blogger Preetha Nair said...

:( :(
I want a Happy ending......

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It really took a painfully long time growing.

I always looked best in your eyes.

- Loved those lines. Beautiful.
-Sparsh

11:19 AM  
Blogger aks said...

hey sweetheart....
was an amazing one....read thru ...but felt sad in the end......
blue saree???hmmmmm

7:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's impossible to forget, isn't it?

12:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

taare zameen par :)

9:16 PM  
Blogger one among the crowd said...

hai poornima,

Language of blue –

Even before time…... many summers ago...even then....combining the stable and calming aspects of blue ....the mystical and spiritual qualities of purple, Blue Iris (the saree was it that??? - colour of 2008) satisfied the need for reassurance in a complex world…. adding a hint of mystery and excitement…..... It can be strong and steadfast or light and friendly….I always looked best in your eyes…. A natural color….. the blue of the sky …..the blue seas…. blue … a universal color. The cool, calming effect of blue makes time pass more quickly…

Lovely post…enjoyed every bit of it..

2:10 AM  
Blogger ishmi said...

ah! beautiful!

9:55 PM  
Blogger AaaDee said...

beautiful writing, as always..!!

5:12 PM  
Blogger Samyak said...

Strumming my pain with her fingers, singing my life with her words.

Kiling me softly with your words, Killing me softly.

4:41 AM  
Blogger djnair said...

ahhh....very very romantic.....

10:10 AM  
Blogger The Lady-Next-Door said...

Just started reading ur posts. They strike a chord somewhere within me as well!! Loved this line the best in this post -

>> I always looked best in your eyes.

Beautiful Words!!!!

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home