Sunday, February 06, 2005

On death and dying….

One the topics that haunt me all the time is death… it might because I have seen more of it than I care to…

Dying unexpectedly- leaving so many unfinished business… so many things unsaid… so many things wishing you said- never another chances to take it back… so many loved ones left behind…

I talked to my sister today. Her senior hung herself in her room. My poor little sister was heart broken. She was always the sensitive one. Take her to a house where someone died and even if she did not know the person she would weep more than the actual family of the bereaved… so much so that my mother a little embarrassed would pull my sobbing sister away… We stopped taking her after sometime.

Suicide is one thing that opens the doors of debate- should one take his/her life? Does one have the right? Isn’t it a sin? Aren’t they plain selfish; the people who do so- for they leave a family of loved ones behind who will never recover from this blow?

These are moral issues to which I have no answer. It never even crosses my mind. All I can think of is the trauma that person went through to do something like this. I cant imagine slicing my finger- god- I even cut my nails so carefully so as not to accidentally tear a little bit of flesh!

Whatever the reason behind the act- all I can think of is the desperation of the person… that someone who could not live that one day in the hope of a better tomorrow…. That tomorrow when all the problems if not solved would not appear to loom as scary as today…

It’s so easy to pooh -pooh the reasons and point at the most obvious course of action the person had to take rather than this disastrous turn.

On hearing all the cases I put the question to myself; “Would I have done so had the person been me?” To all the times I have so far, the answer that returned was a no… Then I thank whoever or whatever, that I have the strength to endure something that someone else did not…

4 Comments:

Blogger Cheeru said...

Wonderful thoughts !! Thankfully never had to wonder the same. Touch wood !!!

3:54 AM  
Blogger Cheeru said...

Wonderful thoughts !! Thankfully never had to wonder the same. Touch wood !!!

3:54 AM  
Blogger Cheeru said...

Wonderful thoughts !!! I am just wondering the episode to kindle these. Thankfully I never had to ponder the same. Touch wood !!!

4:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

An excellent article...Certainly thought provoking...Really well written

8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home