Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Build me no walls

The April day was so humid and I know thats the only thing you actually remember about our first meeting.

I know you don't really remember the red off shoulder blouse I wore. I'd of course not pictured you'd look like this else I'd have worn something terribly sober.

My roommate and I stood by the dusty window overlooking the most crowded street waiting for your first glimpse. I did feel incredibly foolish and excited. I was old enough not to do such things as meeting an almost stranger and young enough to meet a complete stranger.

We went to the beach that summer night. We went to my favorite restaurant. Do you remember how we played 20 questions? You never answered any. I couldn't ask many.

Your pauses when you replied to my questions made me smile.

My roommate fell for you instantly. So did my sister. In their smiles, I began to love you. When my sister ate uncomplaining at a restaurant, I loved you for the peace you brought into that dinner. When my roommate bustled around making you the only thing she knew to cook, I loved you more for the small joy you brought into our overcrowded hall. There was always a little room for more love.

I spoke to you about all the men in my life. You never spoke to me about the no women in your life. Of course I knew I was special, you didn't have to tell me. Though it would have been nice to hear it in your quiet tones and a faint laugh that you'd use to dispel the bashfulness.

One night when I missed the ride home it was you I'd called. And when you came, I'd climbed down 9 floors wondering how I got so lucky with you.

You took me to the secret beach. I've never told anyone about it, I couldn't bring myself to share it with anyone else.

You took me shopping when I wanted a grey Tee with a collar. We never found it.

You gave me a bracelet when I first went away. I never wore it.

You called me when I first went away. I never returned any.

And then I went away nowhere.
And then you went away somewhere.

I'd forgotten to build walls with you. By the time I'd remembered, you were already inside.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

too good...my heart skipped few beats reading this...I was that stranger and certainly you were not the girl...but she

9:44 AM  
Blogger Samyak said...

Depressingly refreshing.

Especially when you've been reading tax and l the entire day

It was painful reading through and waiting for the tragic twist of separation.

Surprise me!!

9:53 AM  
Blogger one among the crowd said...

hi,

...small places....small times....small people....small joys....the designs on the sands...
...the clasps....the looks....the lips..the words ....well....... musings for a life time....
lovely, graceful.. ..keep writing..

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've been following your blog for a while now...on and off....some i've read, some i've skipped...wish you'd write more about other stuff too...stuff tinged with a lil less nostalgia perhaps...irrespective, keep going....

on another note...read somewhere that you liked this book... the catcher in the rye....here's some more by salinger..online....nothing new...it's probably been around a while now...anyway...http://www.freeweb.hu/tchl/salinger/

2:30 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Sonu: And what did she do?

Smayak: Tax! *Shudder* As for the surprise, am waiting too.

OAC: And they all trickle down to blog posts. Impressions on the internet.

Anon: You know, I dont choose the writing. The writing chooses me. And that Salinger link, thats what's really kept me going the last 3 years. Thanks for the thought.

7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the second post of urs that i've read and I am already your fan.

U have a very good writing sense in bringing in the emotional concept so stealthily into the story. Wonderfully written !

You have no idea as to who I am. I got the link to ur blog through my friend who apparently doesnt know you either. But shes a fan of ur blog too :)

3:46 AM  
Blogger Ty Pheng said...

No walls to build Poornima,
Just let things come and go and then come again.
Fan always :)

5:35 AM  
Blogger Preetha Nair said...

Poornima: beautiful post as always...
I somehow like the comments of one among the crowd in all your posts...love the way he/she sums up the whole thing in few words :) :)
kudos :)

8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indeed a very touching blog post. !

4:03 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Mahesh: I have no idea who so many people who read me are! :)

Ty: Dont go anywhere!!! Its nice having you in my life!

Preetha: Am sure he's feeling happy reading your comment! :)

Sherlyn: Ty! :)

Reshmi: Thanks a bunch!

11:56 PM  
Blogger Mahesh said...

Its quite hard to know each n every fan for Sachin Tendulkar! lol :D

12:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home