Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Meet me at the car park

‘Spandan’ was the most happening college fest in Pondicherry. JIPMER- one of the best medical colleges in India. When Jipmerites do things, they always do it to perfection- at least that’s what they say…

I have a lot of friends in Jipmer. And together we stood yelling our heads off, to outdo the mike machinery that was in place during the rock thing that was going on. I yelled and screamed because that was the thing to do. Yet another hypocritical attempt from my side…

The music was so loud that I couldn't hear myself think! The lights were blinding and changed colors before my myopic eyes could begin to decipher shapes!

I was so intent on having fun that I missed out on the fun part. You know what I mean. One moment I was screaming and laughing and the next moment I wanted to run. I don’t really know what got into me, but I wanted to be out of the place immediately. I even felt sick. It might have been the loud music. It might have been the weather. It might have been neither.

I was with five of the best doctors I’ve known. Best because they all cared about me. They were best for me that is! Right from a wasp that stung my friend to a leg pain, all I had to do was call them up. Cure was just a phone call away. All the time. But this time I knew that it wasn’t from them that I would find a solution… I had to get away…

All of a sudden I wanted to see Swapnil. Doctor, friend and more. I knew she would be studying as always in the sound proof library that they had. I yelled out to the crowd that I am going to see Swapnil and would be back and ran out of the place before they could even realize what was happening...

Come with me...Let's go back a couple of years. Those were the days of incessant partying. Because none of us knew where we were gonna be because none of us knew how much marks we were gonna get or how many entrance exams we would all fail to clear. When laughing became painful, jokes boring and the word ‘party’ seem almost political, I would call Swapnil; send her a note, “Meet me at the bicycle stand”



She would. Always. My reassurance of normality, stolidness and life.

We would sit on the bicycles that were parked in neat rows and pedal away furiously. Going nowhere. These days it’s called an exercise bike what we once called a bicycle and a gym what once we called a bicycle stand.

We've grown. Meet me at the car park. Mobiles are a boon.



She came. As always.

I went for the best drive of my life. We drove through the deserted lanes of JIPMER where couples sat necking and more. Yoga at night. We ignored them. We drove to the beach and back. Jagjit Singh- whom I’m not very fond of- playing in the car… She changed the music to something I better like. Why I loved her the way I did was because she never asked me anything. A stranger who would meet me in the bus would know more about me than this girl whom I grew up with. But in our complete anonymity we were best of friends. She knew me. She didn’t have to know anything about me…

We sat in the car; doors opened, listening to music and the crickets.
We sat in the car; doors opened, listening to music and the sea.
We sat in the car; doors opened, listening to music and each other.

The mobile rang. It was the crowd calling. I ignored the call. Mobiles are a curse.

I’ve never had a better time.

The night sky was the prettiest I’d seen. Dotted with the prettiest stars that were almost handpicked… maybe they were a little dewy wet too…

Lying on the wet grass, we shared an almost conversational silence...

“It’s almost as pretty as an Arizona night sky”

“When have you been to Arizona?”

“Never”

31 Comments:

Blogger Praveen said...

Lucky girl, lot of good doctor friends, do you save a lot in medical bills? :)

6:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe its just me...but that really didn't sound like "just friends"...why do girls get away with things like this but guys would immediately be branded gay!??

7:55 AM  
Blogger TinTin said...

woops...my bad!! didnt want to be annonymous

7:56 AM  
Blogger Jade said...

Wish I had a friend(ship) like that..

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been lucky in life - have made some really great friends...

When I was in Trivandrum, I had this friend who would come over for combined study. Whenever we used to take a break we used to sit in the verandah just outside and chi-chat on some topic or the other - we called the verandah - our "Nariman point"

We parted ways - he went to Mumbai and I to Bangalore and 8 years later we met at the real "Nariman point" in Mumbai :)

The location had changed, but our friendship remained just the same.

12:48 PM  
Blogger pDd said...

lovely...
wish i had friends who'd drive me around when i needed to 'not be anywhere'...

12:57 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Bratrat: My lassie friend is more anti social than I am!!

Praveen: A lot of good doctor friends... Hmmm... They were. Now they are good doctors. My sister is a doctor in the making btw.

Tintin: I agree. You can see girls walking around, fingers laced and wouldn't feel anything; but two guys doing the same and yeah... it's all happy but gay.

We weren't 'just friends'. We are good friends. And uor sexual preferences weren't directed at each other.

Jasmine: You lose out on some and you make a few others. I have no clue where exactly Swapnil is at the moment. But those moments were really special.

Krishnan: Yeah- we'll meet in the US, the location will change but I'll pain you as much as ever!

Pallavi: These days when I do not want to be anywhere, I go nowhere.

9:17 PM  
Blogger cactusjump said...

:) reminds me of wayne's world - garth and wotshisname - oh yeah wayne (duh!) lying on their car watching the planes fly overhead...damn i need to learn to drive!

6:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adi paavi...

First come to US and do not give me nightmares before reaching itself

All the best for the visa interview...

8:29 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Kraz: Suitcase's open. I better start packing.

Cactusjump: Dont give me nightmares. When I think of my 'driving experiences', I can post a complete sob story!

Krishnan: Thank you. I'll flunk it.

Remember-play safe! ;o)

9:23 PM  
Blogger manuscrypts said...

hmmm, smoking?? :).. but seriously, loved the end... u write very 'identifiable' (wheres a word when u need it?) stories :)

10:22 PM  
Blogger yesbob said...

arizona indeed.

4:56 AM  
Blogger aks said...

hey poornima....friendship is a boon and to get UNCONDITIONAL love from a freind.....man u r really lucky.....

5:28 AM  
Blogger hope and love said...

female bonding at its best.. great..

6:38 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Manu: I've had that problem too- words fail me when I need them most!

Yesbob:One day soon.

Aks:Conditional/unconditional- all our conversations seem to be surrounding that no?

Hope and love: We weren't even called 'best friends'!!!

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best friends??? to me a best friend is someone who scratches your back when it itches. Can you scratch my back?

6:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ente ponnu Poornimey,(very MAllu :))
Arizona's night sky is beautiful with the lovely valley we have here. Its terribly hot right now though. :)
Cant wait for you to come here so that we can atleast speak, if not meet up!!
Near or far, You've always been among the best of friends. Miss all the little chats and giggles in the last bench of the IT class.......:)
Dee[You know who :)]

8:49 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Fadia: Is that all a friend should do???? Scratch a back?! And you want me to scrtach yours?! Is that all you want me do now?!

Dee: Wow! Ah- you found me through google huh?! And yes, coming soon.

Last bench chats in IT class! Lol! Mriudula Mary Philip! Rofl!

9:47 PM  
Blogger aks said...

hey poornima...guess id start writing sooon...but im having a kind inhibition....feeling if i wud start hating my own work

4:01 AM  
Blogger clash said...

medicis would have played there! :)-

5:37 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Aks: That's the worst thing to begin with! If you hate your own work, whom are you writing for. Write for yourself. You dont even need a blog. And if people like what you write- fine. Else-fine again. The main person here in question is YOU. If you aren't happy, pray why write at all?

cLLaaSSShhh: The only 'medicis' that I seem to know, that too after asking my doc sis, is a dermatology company!

5:54 AM  
Blogger eismcsquare said...

Loved the picture of bicycle!

6:40 PM  
Blogger AR said...

\
you studied at jipmer and are now doing that one year after MBBS course in USA?...if so, do you know ashwin frm jipmer?.

9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scratch it or not??

9:17 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Dalloway said...

Squared: I thought a lot before putting that one actually. Glad.

Anjana: I didn't study at Jipmer. But yes, I do know an Ashwin at Jipmer, who's no longer there.

Anon: Does it itch in the first place?

9:49 PM  
Anonymous Toyota Estima Hybrid said...

This is interesting blog and so well maintained blog. Whole article is too good and well written.

3:21 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

www0727

bottega
canada goose jackets
canada goose outlet
canada goose jackets
canada goose outlet
canada goose jackets
canada goose
canada goose jackets
canada goose outlet
canada goose jackets






12:45 AM  
Anonymous Obat Benjolan di Ketiak said...


This article is interesting and useful. Thank you for sharing. And let me share an article about health that God willing will be very useful. Thank you :)

Obat Alami Menurunkan tekanan Darah Tinggi
Obat Penyakit kulit Eksim
Cara Mengobati Kencing Tersendat

10:28 PM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

jimmy choo shoes
nike off white
supreme new york
michael kors handbags
nike basketball shoes
nike foamposite
nike react
curry 6 shoes
yeezy boost
curry 6 shoes

2:08 AM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

goyard handbags
air jordans
longchamp bags
supreme clothing
pandora jewelry
yeezys
supreme
off white jordan 1
supreme new york
off white nike

10:05 PM  
Anonymous cambuse said...

There is noticeably a lot of money to understand this. I suppose you have made specific nice points in functions also. cambuse

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home